facets in stl

Discussion in 'Technologies and Hardware' started by edge, Mar 7, 2011.

1. edge
    edge New Member
    hi,

In my stl file that was created from Rhino 3d, I see facets although the native model is all smooth. Is this typical?

I set the polygon resolution very fine. The folks at Rhino said to set the stl mesh resolution to match the 3D printer resolution.

Any tips?

Anyone know the Shapeways rapid prototyping machine resolution?

Thanks

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    You can check the material resolutions on their individual pages (under support, under materials on the top bar) Rhino uses Nurbs to model. STL uses polygons (each surface is created by a 2D triangle of mesh) so it has the faceted effect you mention.

3. edge
    edge New Member
    I checked with Rhino, they said to match the .stl resolution to the Rapid Prototyping printer resolution and the facets will not show up in the model.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    That is correct. But having such high resolution means more polys so you have to remember to keep under the 500K poly limit.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. edge
    edge New Member
    I sent in a file that was 1,946KB (almost 2MB) and the system took it in and quoted it.

If I order a print will the system somehow down size it to 50KB?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  6. Youknowwho4eva
    No no no :laughing: 500K polys as it 500,000 polygons. If you've uploaded, you are fine as far as file size and poly limits

7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    500,000 triangles ;)

I just tried a couple of test uploads -
    One with 540,000 triangles (polys) = fail
    One with 270,000 quad polys (each quad is 2 triangles) = fail.

[edit] @Edge - aim for 0.1 to 0.2mm sizing for your polys

8. Youknowwho4eva
    @stop4stuff- it's stated as polys on the upload page so :p lol. Yes I know it's 500,000 triangles. My stl export exports to triangles, not sure about everyone else. But saying triangles is probably better seeing it would be confusing uploading a 237K poly model and having it rejected once broke down into triangles.

@edge- don't take the laugh wrong, not at you, but at the confusion. I know I can be very confusing at times. Can't wait to see what you've got cooking in it arrived!

9. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    [size=-2]psst.... 50k... 500k...?[/size]

;)

10. Youknowwho4eva
    I know not of what you speak I see 500k on all of them... :rolleyes: I really need to learn to check my facts.