Exporting issues...

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by Charmed_Life_Designs, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Hey all,

You may recognize my model Love Makes the World Go 'Round from the Full Color Student Contest. (<a href="http://www.shapeways.com/model/122682/love_makes_the_world_go__round.html?gid=ug35653" target="_blank"></a>)

As the first prize, I was going to get a free print of my model, but as a complete newb to designing for 3d printing, I ran into multiple wall thickness issues. I believe I've finally fixed all of them. The problem is my computer: it broke. So after months of struggles, I've finally got both my model and my computer working again. However, it seems that when I switched from Windows to Linux, Blender decided it didn't want to cooperate. Now, when I export the model to .x3d or .wrl, it gets damaged in the export. The entire model becomes non-manifold in .wrl, and I can't even reimport the .x3d to see what went wrong there (blender crashes. Epically.).

My humble request to you, the Shapeways community, is simple: Take this model, open it in Blender, and hit 'export'. Get it in a color-friendly format. Reimport it to make sure it didn't turn into say, a complete chaotic mess of random polygons during the export (that has actually happened to me. Go figure.), and you're done. No fancy model fixes needed, just a simple export and reimport check.

I had originally planned to make this a co-creator model, but between the scaling I had to do to get it up to size (I'm sure this will be an absurdly expensive print... Well, absurd for someone on a college student's budget) and the fact that I can't seem to export color models myself... I will count myself lucky if I can get this printed before Shapeways loses patience with me.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide in this matter.

Attached Files:

2. Inlite
    Inlite New Member
    heya, I looked at your model but it seems you havent packed the earth texture into the file?

3. Oops, here's the one I meant to upload. Heh, sorry 'bout that. I guess that's what I get for using really similar filenames and not looking at the extension.

Attached Files: