Export Wireframe Model to STL

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by highonsnow, Mar 4, 2013.

1. highonsnow
    highonsnow New Member
    Hi guys,

How do I go about exporting/generating my currently 3D model, into a wireframe representation for 3D printing?

Example: http://www.shapeways.com/model/601113/thundercat.html

I want to generate a wireframe version of this that can be printed on Shapeways - a Wireframe model as such.

How can I do this effectively?

2. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    Hi Peter

if you are using Blender you might try skin modifier

But is computation intensive, and it might crash with Hi-poly model. Or it just with my PC :)

3. highonsnow
    highonsnow New Member
    Hi Marián,

Thanks very much for your reply! I've created the model in 3D Studio Max.. is there an equivalent function in that, or can I open the model in Blender and carry out the function there do you think?

Thanks for your help,

4. Keymaker
    i saw Max only from distance so i don't know.:) Also i ask a friend but he never did something like that in max so he doesn't know either.

Blender can import STL, OBJ, 3DS, but i cant guarantee it will work
  5. highonsnow
    highonsnow New Member
    Excellent, ok I think I've got something here, thanks a million!
  6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Or you can go into edit mode, open the Face menu (ctrl+F) and select 'Wire Frame' ---->

UV Sphere Wireframe.jpg
  7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    I like! is there a way to control the wire thickness?
  8. Keymaker
    interesting. didn't know this one :)

The AmLachDesigns solution is "destructive" method and you can control wire thickness only once.

The skin modifier is non destructive (keep original mesh) and you can change thickness in edit mode anytime (Mean radius X/Y, depends on scale of the object)
  9. Youknowwho4eva
    I'm having no luck with skin so far, my model is probably too complex for my machine. So how do I control the thickness of the wires using the Face Menu method?
  10. Keymaker
    in edit mode ctr+F -> Wire frame (W) -> before you do anything else in tool bar menu (or F6 - on picture) you can find thickness Untitled-1.jpg
  11. Youknowwho4eva
    Awesome! Thanks. Exactly what I needed.