Explanation Of New Minimum And Finishes Pricing

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by EricaC, Oct 15, 2018.

1. TrentTroop
    TrentTroop Well-Known Member
    I'm noticing the same thing with my most recent model. Costs fluctuating all over the place. Not great.

2. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    maybe sprueing 2 or 3 of the same type together helps since you are currently below the minimal pricing

Nevertheless that's a common problem for scale models. The more now caused by minimal pricing. Would be nice if sw starts thinking over that since there's a market price for such items and it we don't meet it for scale models the segment is dead also for sw.

So let me ask the question in another way: how is it possible to bundle several (n) models per customer choice together with less production efforts along the whole line at sw then n orders of one model. Thus decreasing the customers costs, sw efforts and increasing sw revenue and profit and designer's markup.

Because increasing pricing on sw side seems to be a major objection to save profit but not the only one. Increasing revenue and profit by attracting more people to buy more similar items and save costs along this order chain would be a win win

3. EvieL
    EvieL Well-Known Member
    I was trying to test out new models and buy more inventory for the holiday, so I went thru all the motions of add to cart and checking out. There is now an option of manufacturing speed that I almost missed. The speed at which the usual $4.99 shipping charge for US is now at 5 weeks! Another few days for me to get it and a few days more before my Etsy customers get it. Majority of the customers would not wait 6-7 weeks for cast metal jewelry. If I want to get it at what use to be the normal time, I have to pay $12 more.

So the math, a pair of small earring: $40 for polish silver + 4.99 for economy shipping + $12 for Priority Manufacturing ( 3 weeks ) + NY tax = $62.05. I used to pay $35.37. It is now a 75% increase in price instead of the 55% from my original assumption.

I am seriously hoping this is the time SW needs because of the holidays but I have a feeling it is what should be expected from now on.

Spitfire2865 and chanusa like this.
  4. JensMerte
    JensMerte Member
    You are right, the "normal Speed" is now longer. Also for simple "White Processed Versatile Plastic" it has increased and takes now 1,5 week longer (or I should pay extra for two weeks faster! - ah, clever;) and on top the shipping cost goes up from 5,10 Euro to 7.19 € (and still I did not know if this is DHL or UPS).

It seems that I will use sw only for the shop anymore and use i.m for the fast manufacturing of higher number of small parts (with less costs per small part than sw) and sell it over the own shop - yes, I have to store these small parts now (at home in a box:) but with the new production time of sw a "print on demand" is not possible anymore anyhow...

Bests
    Jens

Btw - something must be wrong (why I should use rush ?):

Manufacturing Speed
    Rush ( + €10.79 ) Ships by November 1st
    Priority ( + €6.47 ) Ships by November 1st
    Economy ( + €0.00 ) Ships by November 15th

Rick_D_Ryo and EvieL like this.
  5. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hey Jens,

Value shipping to Germany is DHL :)

Regarding Rush, this is definitely a bug and confirmed by the dev team.
    Rush for Versatile Plastic should be 2 days.

We'll have that fixed asap!

JensMerte likes this.
  6. FerretDesigns
    FerretDesigns Well-Known Member
    A few of us comment about that above
    It appears there is a 30% charge for "priority" manufacturing, and this is total of basket, with no cap. Yesterday, when checking out a £170 basket it was estimating 4 and but weeks for cast metals, which is double the usual time, or I could pay £50 odd for "priority" speed and it would be with me in the old time scales....
    Fabulous.
    It was also confirmed that this only affects (for now) the non grandfathered things in our shops. So anything marked as visible and for sale will have the OLD production times with no extra charge, but anything we don't have live in our shops or any new uploads will get the new time frames and costs.

EvieL likes this.
  7. Spitfire2865
    Spitfire2865 Well-Known Member
    Almost as if everything theyve said over the past few months were lies and the "+/-5%" was a cover for these massive increases in hidden fees and poorer service windows.
    Yeah, Im starting to sound like a broken record because this keeps happening.

8. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Bump.

Improved markup value entry is still a long desired feature by many. It needs to be brought back to the site without the need for an external spreadsheet mechanism.

EricaC likes this.
  9. EricaC
    EricaC Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hey @MrNibbles! I think about this request almost every day... anyone on our product team could probably validate how frequently I bring it up as a high impact improvement.

The good news is that I've gotten some positive reactions from our partners on the product team and I suspect we'll have an update on this longstanding request fairly soon. I can't say for sure, unfortunately, but I can promise you that it has not been forgotten. We're actively looking at marketplace improvements now and I can't imagine completing that project without adding a feature like this one.

As always, no promises on how or when it could be implemented, but I've got your back on this and will continue to advocate for this tool.

crashtestdummy likes this.
  10. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    You might need one of these for encouragement. I could upload a 3D model for printing if you can't easily source a real whip at your local western supply store.

[​IMG]

Andrusi and EricaC like this.
  11. crashtestdummy
    crashtestdummy Well-Known Member
    I haven't been active in months but the price hike of December has abated and prices seem to have rolled back to November levels. If that was peek demand pricing that kicked in, their lies the problem with not announcing it, at least to those of us who order at regular intervals.