Error Checking: Very Annoying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lensman, Apr 14, 2018.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    So, I've been having a lot of problems with a ring I'm working on. It has prongs for a stone and text "engraved". I kept getting "thin wall" errors with the prongs and a couple of letters. Instead of waiting for new iterations of the ring to upload and get checked I worked on separate models with the prongs and the text parts. I finally got both where no thin walls were detected. Next step was to put the ring model together complete and re-upload..... And new thin walls error yet again in the same areas.... How?

Not really looking for answers but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced something similar?

2. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Yes, and I think you can ignore them. I would try a "print it anyway." I have some models that always have thin walls and they still get printed.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The wall thickness check can return different results depending on how it splits the model into voxels. And it will be unreliable with small parts sticking out from the main body, as it has no concept of the role of an individual voxel in the context of the whole model. I would order it and see if it gets rejected, rather than risk destroying your artwork due to a crude tool.

4. lensman
    I was looking for the "print it anyway" option and couldn't find it when I re-ordered last night. Must have been too sleepy! Let's see if this one goes through.

5. lensman
    I was kind of thinking that myself, but you just confirmed it.

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Print it anyway is not available for any of the metals unfortunately - sandstone, nylon and some of the acrylics only.

Ontogenie likes this.
  7. lensman
    Ah, @mkroeker, that would be why I couldn't find it. Thought I was losing my mind.

8. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    True this, but when you get the "view issues" caution, go ahead and add to cart and order. Sometimes that's the only way to know for sure whether it's printable if you're getting weird thin walls warnings.

9. lensman
    @Ontogenie - that's exactly what I did on the re-order a few days ago. I still had some minor red markings but pushed it through and hopefully the manual checks will confirm my belief that they will print.

Ontogenie likes this.
  10. DoctorOctoroc
    DoctorOctoroc Well-Known Member
    With there being as many variables as can occur with 3d printing technology on the whole, a lot of the time it's best to just go with your instinct. I've had models rejected on account of surface details and yet long, thin parts that are likely to break can pass manual checks. I do a lot of skyscraper models so I have this issue with nearly every model that has an antenna on top and detailed window framing!

11. lensman
    Well the ring printed okay in the end. No issues with the areas that were suspect, however some fine surface details were a little lost. Still happy with it, though.

12. DoctorOctoroc
    DoctorOctoroc Well-Known Member
    Good to hear! I've ordered over hundreds of prints during the years I've been on Shapeways and I'd say about 30% of the time something unexpected goes wrong. Half of the time something goes wrong, it was an oversight on my part, the other half, it's a problem with the print, whether it be lower quality than previous prints or broken parts (usually due to shipping). It's usually fixable without many issues. I've only had a few prints that were unusable. Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious every time I put an order in that something will go wrong...