Embossed detail

Discussion in 'Technologies and Hardware' started by PlainOrb, Jul 20, 2012.

1. PlainOrb
    PlainOrb New Member
    In the tutorial of stainless steel polishing, it says embossed detail at least 0.8 mm. Does it mean 0.8 mm thickness and 0.8mm width ?
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    I want to say both. I believe it's referring to the height of the emboss, so by the rules it would have to at least be as wide as it is thick. But I'll see if Nancy can clarify this for us.

Edit: I was wrong, it is the thickness of the font. But you still need to maintain a 1:1 thickness and width

P.S. if you could include a link to the page, it will help in finding what you are looking at faster.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  3. PlainOrb
    PlainOrb New Member
  4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    A good example in my Check Rope Ring - the print in the main image was further polished by me using a dremel type rotary tool - The checker pattern has 1mm squares, the rope starts at ~0.8mm at the base thinning to nothing at the top but is still proud of the main structure of the ring.

The second image shows how the ring arrived;

If you can, blend the edges of the embossing into the main structure of the model and model the raised parts as rounded, with maybe a 0.25mm radius corner to get good results.

5. PlainOrb
    PlainOrb New Member
    I use Arial bold 15 pt , which brings width between 0.7mm ~ 1mm and height at 1mm. I'm not able to make round corner even at 0.2mm radius. Will the polishing make it round a little ?
  6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Polishing should round any exposed sharp corners.