Does a hollow object need to have an escape hole?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 397467_deleted, Jan 6, 2014.

1. I know for shapeways, a hollow object need to have an escape hole.

But is it just because it's shapeways which has its own electronic and automatic checking system?

If say I have a printer on my own, do I still need to design the escape hole to get the hollow object?

Thanks

2. If it is a Makerbot-style printer (FFF or FDM) you do not need an escape hole. In fact, you don't even need to make the model hollow, because you can set the printer to only fill say 30% of the interior with plastic.

3. Thanks for your reply!

But I want it printed with sandstone, in this case, is the escape hole a must?

Thanks!

4. Yes, or else the loose powder will be stuck inside...actually it won't get that far because Shapeways software will remove the inner shell before printing.

5. Yeah, I read that shapeways software will consider a hollow object without escape hole as a solid object.

I just want to make sure if it possible to print a hollow object with sandstone without an escape hole. Do you know the requirement applies only to shapeways or all other service providers require escape hole in this circumstance?

Thank you so much!

6. Have you looked?

7. Yeah, I just asked a service provider at my place, Shanghai, they do need the escape hole to let the powder come out.

So the escape hole is a must.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    For all materials, we charge for material used. Sandstone has a fairly unique building process that uses the unfused build material as the support material. So all that trapped material could go to building another model. So we'd be giving away free material that could have been reused.

The only materials we allow trapped material are FUD and Transparent Detail, and this is only if the trapped material is for visual purposes (as the build materials are semi transparent, and the support material is a different color.

9. nmoorenyc
    nmoorenyc Member
    Can the whole be covered back, maybe for jewelry

10. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    For jewelry the back is often filled with holes, it's called an under-gallery when it is on the inside of a ring, at the top, under the gemstones. IMG_5583.JPG

11. nmoorenyc
    nmoorenyc Member
    So most solid jewelry you would say has a hole in it for hollowness somewhere even if it's hidden?

12. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    A lot of it does, hollow-formed jewelry is common. Many men's rings have a large hole, it is where the stone goes.
    Also common is pendants that are basically a sheet with many cut-outs, like lace, to reduce weight and cost.

13. designsoul
    designsoul Well-Known Member
    In case you are looking for a software workflow solution, it is a good idea to model a cylinder the size of an escape hole of either of Shapeways' size requirements and long enough to fit through the wall thickness. Keep it in a convenient location and use it for all your projects. With Blender you can easily boolean the cylinder out of your model. Aesthetically integrating the hole with your model is something to consider (say work it in as the inner part of one of your logo's letters).

aliciafelber likes this.