Dji Phantom: Who Won?

Discussion in 'Other Interest Groups' started by cadycarlsondesigns, Oct 3, 2016.

1. cadycarlsondesigns
    cadycarlsondesigns Well-Known Member
    Does anyone know who won the DJI Phantom Drone competition?? It's driving me crazy! Wasn't there supposed to be an announcement Saturday, October 1st?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    We were at World Maker Faire. I think we recorded an announcement. I'll find out.

3. cadycarlsondesigns
    cadycarlsondesigns Well-Known Member
  4. paddyjaki
    paddyjaki Member
    cadycarlsondesigns likes this.
  5. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
  6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I'd like to get some feedback concerning my entry. :D

I noticed that the accessory attachment for the grand prize winner entry looks like it interferes with the camera gimbal system. Is that true? Also, if it has GoPro mounts, how is the camera data supposed to get back to the SAR operator? Also, no weight specifications were given for the entire entry with all the attachments shown. How much does all that weigh?

Another thing I noticed is. The MATILDA, though clever, has a major drawback because there is no way to look at downward angles with the camera, thus it would make it very difficult to land to release the payload.

Concerning my design, what do you guys think about it? know the contest is over, but I'm interested in getting some feedback for my entry. Be as critical as possible. I love criticism because it makes me better! :D

cadycarlsondesigns likes this.
  7. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey @UniverseBecoming I think you're entry is great. Not sure I can debate the merits or give a critical assessment of each entry and compare, I wasn't a judge.

We chose Judges across 3 industries (from Shapeways, DJI and first responders) and they scored the entries based on what they viewed functionality of the entry. Weight and usability were certainly factors in those discussions.

Also if you didn't win don't sweat, we loved every entry and are looking into the best way to highlight all of these awesome concepts so that they can get into the hands of those who need them.

8. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Thanks Andrew! I was just curious what people thought. I spent around 100 hours working on that so I was hoping to see what people had to say about it before it becomes long forgotten. :D