Designer Wanted For Creating A Replacement Handle For Bike Lock Keys

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by mikedoherty, Apr 14, 2018.

1. mikedoherty
    mikedoherty Member
    I despise the big bulky handle Kryptonite (and all the rest) put on the keys for their bike locks. It means it won't fit nicely in key wallets/holders, for example. I'd like to rip off that plastic and replace it with something designed to be approximately the same size and shape (and, crucially, thickness) as a standard key. The kryptonite keys are already thicker than a normal key, so it will be important to avoid adding to that thickness, while still being very secure and (semi) permanently attached. I imagine it would only be printed in a strong metal like steel.

I have keys both with their plastic handle on, and with it ripped off, and I believe I have access to calipers, so I can maybe provide good measurements. Or, I'll just send you a key to play with.

2. mikedoherty
    mikedoherty Member
    For reference, here's what the design would have to fit around

Attached Files:

3. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    I would just make an epoxy piece, a little clay, aluminum foil topless mold. Tolerances for 3D printed items will be quite high, not to mention cost and lead time, 2nd, 3rd print trying to get it right. Trust me I've burned a pile. -S

4. paulopereira
    paulopereira Active Member
    I don't agree with that.
    If you know what you are doing, you can model precise pieces the first time.
    I've done it multiple times.
    Of course you have to accommodate for a specific material tolerances.

5. GrumpyAlison
    GrumpyAlison Well-Known Member
    I could help you with this if you want, but it might end up being simpler to get some milliputty and just flatten it around the key between some parchment paper - it wouldn't be sexy, but it would probably be strong enough for what you need. Polymer clay would also work, but probably be slightly more prone to cracking if you twisted it crazy (I've replaced oven knobs with polymer clay and it took

I'll send you a follow up pm with info about prices, etc.
    If you're interested, you can check out some of my previous work at http://alison.friedlander.me

Cheers,
    Alison Friedlander
    alison@friedlander.me