Designer For Custom Medal?

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 1260950_deleted, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Hi all,

I am looking to have a custom designed medal to be created to celebrate a friends wedding. I have looked into having the medal created as a standard medal, but prices upwards of £100+ made it not possible. I was pointed to 3D printing being a cheaper alternative?

Some descriptions of what I would like it to look like:
    • 5mm in thickness.
    • Simple bell shape design.
    • A small loop at the top so a ribbon can be threaded through (like on medals)
    • Approx 7cm in diameter (which I believe is a pretty reasonable size for a medal?)
    • A middle design of a bridge and groom standing at an alter. Doesn't have to be highly detailed, just noticeably a bridge/groom. If possible could this be raised above the rest of the medal slightly?
    • Above the bride I would like it to say Murray and above the groom I would like it to say Kelly
    • Below the bride and groom I would like it to say 02/07/2016.
    • I would like the color to try and match that of a medal, so preferably a gold / silver or bronze coloring to it?
    Unfortunatley I have 0 skill at 3d modeling, so I am hoping my descriptions make sense and give you an idea of what I am trying to make?

If someone could give me some cost estimates to try and have this made, I would be much appreciated :) I am UK based if that impacts anything?

If you have any follow up questions or I have missed something off, please let me know.

2. OrsonY
    OrsonY Well-Known Member
    The have no problem to model it into something and print it into metal, but the price will not cheaper then that one your said.

To print a 7cm X 7cm With 5mm thickness the cost will mostly around that price if you model it yourself but for hire a person to model it into 3D model the price will get more then that, (PRINTING PRICE + HIRE A modeler price). So if you can get a ready made it will be lot cheaper then make it into special one. ..

Printing price will be USD20 + (USD18X the cm cube of the model) = total of printing cost
    Above calculation is for printing it into Polished Bronze or Brass..

For making the model, the cost depend on the person rate..

If you had more question to clarify, you are welcome to shot me a mail to ask more..

3. Thanks for your reply OrsonY.

I have been told that there are ways and materials you can print in to make it look like metal, but not be, if that makes sense? So although the design material will not be metal, it will have the look of ( and some of the weight of ) metal, and be cheaper?

Is that true?

4. elopez3d
    elopez3d Well-Known Member
    Stainless steel printing is a lot cheaper than Brass and Bronze, they have different finishes.
    The downside is they aren't as detailed.

There is also the option to print in plastic and paint it like metal.
    You could also make a mold and cold cast some metal.

Designing a relief portrait like that isn't so easy.
    Send me an email if you'd like more info.

Regards,
    Eric Lopez

5. minichua
    minichua Active Member
    Design and material will easily cost £100+.
    The cheaper option is colored Strong & Flexible Plastics that may end below £100, but it will just be colored plastics. You could choose one with a metal color, but I am not sure it will really look like one.

6. Green_Tourmaline
    Green_Tourmaline Well-Known Member
    Hi, in polished gold steel your item would cost about $65 or less. If you want I can make some test models for you , free of charge of course. In some instants their are ways to lower costs.

7. Thanks for your reply. It doesnt have to be metal so much as look like it. Itll purely be a decorative gift, as she is an avid runner, so a medal for the collection as it were.

Thats a reasonable price. What does gold steel look like, would that include design, print and shipping?

8. DiegoAramburu
    DiegoAramburu Member
    Just for help :

I made an empty 70x70x5mm medal and upload it , and here you have the quotes , i think you only will have it in plastic (16-18 uss) or maybe "metallic plastic" (25-27uss) , plus shapeways sendind plus the design ...

Just the printing in stainless Steel , or bronze steel cost 123 uss
    A simple medal design cost is aproximately 80-120 uss (its my quote ...so im out)

See the list , hope this help you...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  9. Green_Tourmaline
    If your still interested I got the materiel cost down to $55.88.
    I only have a $35 design fee.

Attached Files:

• Bell.PNG

Bell.PNG

File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  10. 1015383_deleted
    1015383_deleted Well-Known Member
    Hi there!

I read through your posting and we can easily help you with this. We do similar projects all the time!

I will need more information to properly quote your project. Please send it to jason@jcadusa.com or call me directly 1.888.202.2052 to discuss. I'm basically looking for sketches, pictures of similar products and/or any other information you have about your project so it's clear to me what needs to be done.

After you send it, visit our website http://jcadusa.com and checkout our Virtual Reality online portfolio with 100's of 3D interactive parts we've made here: https://sketchfab.com/jcad. All of the parts on this link can be viewed in VR (virtual reality) using a VR headset. Ask us about how to get a FREE VR headset!

We specialize in:

- 3D Mechanical CAD Design

- 3D Design for 3D Printing

- 3D Design for Injection Molding

- 3D Printing & Prototyping

- Injection Molding & Manufacturing

- Mold Making & Mass Production

- Machining, Welding & Fabrication

- Product Renderings & Animations

- PCB Enclosure/Electronics Box Design & Manufacture

Here's a published article about our company: http://3dprint.com/95606/j-cad-inc-makemy3dfile/

Here's a published article about a project we did for another client: http://3dprint.com/79057/3d-printed-cigar-ashtray/

Here's a short video about J - CAD Inc.

Looking forward to speaking to you soon about your project!

Jason | CEO J - CAD Inc.
    jason@jcadusa.com
    www.jcadusa.com

“People have great ideas…we turn them into reality!” - Jason | CEO J - CAD Inc.

Attached Files:

11. Green_Tourmaline
    I was able to make what they wanted