Derogatory, vulgar, and obscene comments left under products!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Shorehill, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Shorehill
    Shorehill Member
    Dear fellow members, designers, and shapeways team!

I believe what the store owners are missing is the ability to directly connect with a team member regarding obscene, derogatory, or foul reviews which can be posted onto our stores/products. My case is that after several comments this type of behavior and vocabulary damages our products, image, and shapeways integrity. Our customers and future clients tend to read comments and if you have several comments has the potential to damage your product and future growth. From what I have seen anyone can post anything and it will stay there with-out being reviewed or checked for. Even after finally connecting with a shape ways representative. So my suggestion is better control and communication regarding negative comments deemed fictitious, vulgar, or damaging. More controls in place. Possibly no reviews can be made unless product was purchased or messaging is directly sent to designer or shop owner only, or the ability click and report messages.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    Model_Monkey likes this.
  2. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hey Shorehill,

Thanks for bringing this up, thats a great suggestion. Can you PM me the details, I'm happy to take a look.

Model_Monkey likes this.
  3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    My suggestion was to allow the Shopowner to delete ANY comments they wish. Don't allow editing, but do allow full deletion.
    If I had a brick and mortar shop, I could take down any placards placed by other folks.. positive or negative.

@Andrew ... there is a bug in the comments section ... I can delete or flag as inappropriate my own comments, but I can't do so on comments left by other users.

Model_Monkey likes this.
  4. Clevella
    Clevella Member
    The ability to delete comments is the most basic function of a web page. How is this being overlooked?

5. Model_Monkey
    Model_Monkey Well-Known Member
    Recognizing this thread was created some time ago, I'd still like to concur with recommendations, even at this late date.

Here is another behavior I've experienced on occasion: in addition to vulgar or other inappropriate comments, sometimes, too, customers initiate basic communications with designers by posting publicly on product pages rather than through email or PM.

Those posts are usually very tame (asking for re-scalings or modifications) but, IMHO, those posts are not really appropriate for a product page and on occasion not even related to that product. And once the posts appear on a product page they may give the impression that communicating with designers should be initiated by posting publicly on a product page.

Since the nature of those comments is usually only relevant to that one customer and the designer, not the public generally, initiating those kinds of conversations with designers is best done through PMs or email directly to the designer. Those conversations wouldn't be put on the box of a product sold in a brick and mortar store and shouldn't be displayed on the product page here.

Knowing customers will do it anyway, it would be helpful if designers could delete those comments, too, as a simple matter of product page housecleaning.

Thoughts?

6. LrdSatyr8
    LrdSatyr8 Well-Known Member
    This thread was created in 2015 and the problem STILL HASN'T BEEN FIXED? What is going on here? Why can't we delete comments on products? Right now the only way to deal with it is to delete the entire model and reupload it as a new product, but that is totally counter productive! It's been 3 years here people? Did the programming staff completely overlook this problem or do they really not care?

7. MillerBro
    MillerBro Well-Known Member
    ditto- getting a snide comment that the model doesnt look 'good' etc is just basic internet griefing and the ability to police it ourselves seems like a no brainer

8. LrdSatyr8
    I can't believe it's been 3 years and nothing has been addressed YET! Why can't we delete comments from other people from our own models? It would be so easy for someone who has a grudge to leave negative and derogatory comments on our models just to make them look bad out of spite and we can't do anything about them! PLEASE FIX THIS SOON!!

9. IntelXeon
    IntelXeon Well-Known Member
    spam the staf with emails then the get sick of it and do something

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Just letting you know that I see your responses, and am looking into an answer for you.

11. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    Looks like the spams worked:D

12. Youknowwho4eva
    No, I've been watching and trying to collect answer before responding.

13. LrdSatyr8
    So any word yet on this?

14. Youknowwho4eva
    Not yet. I do know that you can email service about offensive comments, and they can handle those comments.

Model_Monkey likes this.
  15. Hi @LrdSatyr8! My name is Sarah and I am the Manager of the Community Department here at Shapeways HQ. Thank you so much for bringing this up again - I definitely understand that people can post either offensive or irrelevant content on your product pages, which muddies the page and detracts attention away from your designs.

We want you to have the best experience selling on Shapeways, and I definitely understand how having control over the content on your page supports your ability to promote your products.

I have flagged this directly with our Product Manager, so they are aware of your concern. With your feedback, this request will go into our prioritized list of issues to work on.

We are a small team here, and not everything that is requested can be fulfilled. However, I assure you they are aware of your request and I have pointed them directly to this conversation thread. I appreciate so much that you brought this up again! Your feedback genuinely helps us build a better platform for you.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to tag @Youknowwho4eva and he will raise this with me again. Your patience and understanding is appreciated. Thank you again!

Model_Monkey and Youknowwho4eva like this.
  16. LrdSatyr8
    I hope so... it gets really frustrating when a problem like this was brought up 3 years ago and it seems like it's just been lost in shuffle. I've seen quite a few designers leave shapeways because of trolled comments left on their products by competitors with no way of removing them if you're the owner of that product. I really hope that this gets addressed soon. I will be looking forward to testing it out!

Model_Monkey likes this.
  17. LrdSatyr8
    Any progress so far?

18. Hi LrdSatyr8,

We appreciate that you care so much about the website and your user experience. We care about this too!

We will not be providing updates on the progress of any projects or features. Priorities can change very rapidly, and we do not want to make any promises here.

You will see big updates to the website coming soon and we appreciate your understanding. Thank you for your eager attention!

19. LrdSatyr8
    I look forward to it