Customization Maker Tool

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by RamaRakosi, Jan 3, 2017.

1. RamaRakosi
    RamaRakosi Well-Known Member
    Hey is there a way to reset the view in the Customization Maker Tool? Or are there buttons for setting your view alignment to the object your trying to add text or image too? like front back left right top bottom? preset views?

It seems really difficult to accurately get a horizontal text box when the object is skewed no matter how good I try to line it up.

picture custom tool.png

Another feature that would make the alignment much easier would probably be incremental rotation of the text so its not like 0.20% off because im not perfect at aligning like a computer program would be.

Andrewsimonthomas likes this.
  2. ATDT
    ATDT Member
    Hi,

This would be needed definitely. And the mouse controls are kind of weird. Hard to get things straight.

ATDT

RamaRakosi likes this.
  3. RamaRakosi
    Could a shapeways employee weigh in on this? I bet a ton more people would use it once it is fixed.
    The models are already set to axis x y and z, why not work with that in the custom maker tool.

Thanks for letting me know its not just me ATDT

4. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    I could be wrong but it seems to me that lately there is some minor snapping of the customization boxes to axis if you're close enough. Maybe it's just luck but I've added some long narrow windows and they seem to always have excellent alignment. Maybe it's browser dependent? On the other hand having definite controls would be a great thing.

Some other things are annoying. Like how you can't zoom in, adjust something, and stay in the same view. For some reason the view always autozooms out and you need to manually zoom in again for finer control. Plus mouse scroll wheel direction zooming in and out is different between set-up and product page. And I just noticed that scroll zooming direction is also different for different materials in the 3D tools, for example when looking at wall thickness. This should really be standardized for all zoomable views, dontcha think?

5. RamaRakosi
    bump - any news on this?

6. RamaRakosi
    Like who designed this and are they still around?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  7. ATDT
    ATDT Member
    I'd expect to be able to write the dimensions manually as well and not just approximate them with spooky mouse control. If the text box should be 3x4 cm with 45 deg angle, this should be possible to achieve without nerve racking pixel perfect mouse placement. Opening the text boxes for writing should be easy enough and would make custom maker hugely better.

The fix for control-all-three-axis-simultaneously-with-one-move mouse control is probably a bigger job.

Best,
    ATDT