Custom Color Rounded Die

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Magic, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi all,

It has be really really painful to design this die, because I had to split it into six to assign different materials to each face and then merge the different parts all together.
    Of course it was nearly impossible to merge them again without having dupplicated edges or strange border effects on the material.
    I guess there is an easier way, but I could not figure out which one :cry:
    Anyway, now it's done and it works properly.
    So here is the Color Rounded Die
    CustomRDiceImage.jpg
    It is a co-creator model so you can use your own image.
    As you can see this image is just the different faces put in this order:
    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    I then put them in the correct place with a chosen orientation (so that none is in the same orientation actually).
    The recommended size is 1200x800 pixels.
    You can download a sample image (dice.jpg) for you the begin with, if you want to customize one.

Enjoy !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Wolfdagon
    Wolfdagon New Member
    Nice. Have you ordered one yet?

3. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Is the "one two tree" intentional? Just in case you meant "three".

4. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    To Wolfdagon: no, I did not ordered it yet. But I think the model should print properly. The only thing on which there could be a small issue would be the round part not being smooth enough: you can see the facets in the rendering. Initially, I wanted to have more faces but unfortunately my modeling software kept crashing when I had a smoother sphere :( Nevertheless, since the die is only 16x16x16 mm, I hope the number of faces in the rounded part is enough anyway.

To Dadrummond: tank you! I did not notice tat. Tis has not been done intentionally, and I will fix tis typo as soon as possible :D

UPDATE: the typo has been fixed!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. dadrummond
    dadrummond Member
    Haha...glad to help. Your response made me laugh! :)

6. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi all,

And now, here is the Custom Color Die:
    CustomDiceImage.jpg
    Once again, it is a co-creator model, so you can change the image just has the previous one...
    It is 16x16x16 mm. It is not rounded this time, but the edges are smooth.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I uploaded a new version of the Custom Color Die with more faces in the round part. It was 1853 polygons before and now it is 6727 polygons.

This has not been easy because my modeling tool kept crashing when there were too many faces, and when finally I managed to obtain the right result, I had some manifold problems when uploading the model in WRL format (the strange thing is that the upload worked in STL format or even in WRL if I scaled the model up 10x, whereas I think that actually I had a problem of duplicated vertices).