Creating zdepth in Blender 2.54 question

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by LincolnK, Nov 11, 2010.

1. LincolnK
    LincolnK New Member
    I have spent 5 hours today reading tutorials and searching for information to figure out how to render the zdepth into an image that I could then play with in photoshop.

After that, I want to bring it back into Blender and use it to distort a mesh.

But, nothing I have done has gotten me any kind of depth map.

Any Blender folks out there that could help me understand how to do this?

2. clsn
    clsn Well-Known Member
    I still feel more like an "advanced beginner" than an expert on Blender, and I don't have an answer for you (yet), but I think I know where to poke around. But I warn you that my experience is Blender 2.49 or so and I know that things changed wildly at 2.5 (I'm dreading transitioning to it).

You're going to want to create a material, and in the Shading panels, in the Material buttons, there's a Texture panel of some kind where you can specify the Map Input and Map To settings... You can use the Orco (I think! Orthogonal Coordinates?) input and map the Z to some color... You'll need to open the UV editor... and then you Bake the texture under the Render panels... I don't even know if these make sense in Blender 2.5. But it's something along those lines; I experimented with something similar a while back.

If I can figure out something coherent I'll try to get it back to you.
  3. LincolnK
    LincolnK New Member
    Thanks, but that is more complicated than I want. Especially trying to convert what you are saying into 2.5's UI.

In 2.5 you can extract z depth right out of a render. I just can't seem to get it to work.

I dreaded the switch to 2.5 as well, but it was worth it! I love it.

4. bartv
    bartv New Member
    I'm sure you can do it, but my Blender 2.5 knowledge isn't up to par yet. I think you'll get an answer though if you post your question on the forum.