Covid And Cast (plated) Metals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nickola, May 25, 2020.

1. Nickola
    Nickola Well-Known Member
    Are there any updates regarding Covid-19 and the production of cast metals? Maybe an estimation of when Shapeways will start again the Plated metals?

EvieL and DigitalDream like this.
  2. FerretDesigns
    FerretDesigns Well-Known Member
    Apparently not.

3. nathlee
    nathlee Member
    i ordered natural brass (instead of plated..) the 18th may, but it still "in processing" not reaching "pre-production", the plastic was ready in 5 days...

the estimate shipping is "5th july" but i have big doubt...>_>

4. DigitalDream
    DigitalDream Well-Known Member
    There is no communication about cast metal it's a bit lame from shapeways.. It's not costumer friendly nothing to say....

5. Nymonyrya
    Nymonyrya Member
    I have an order from Etsy e-commerce from Apr 15 (natural bronze), the estimated ship date was pushed back to Aug 3. I understand there is crisis and I'm not blaming Shapeways. But at the same time, I have no idea what will I do once the Etsy customers start demanding refunds.

6. PropLord
    PropLord Member
    I have the same issue. I ordered an Engagement ring I designed for my (hopefully soon to be fiance) and she was extremely taken-aback when an additional 46 days were added. I could have found another vendor / company and had it by now!

Cast Natural Silver
    Ordered May 8th.
    Original ET Ship date June 18th

Changed to Aug 3rd.

Unacceptable.

7. nathlee
    nathlee Member

i didn't see the update.. so for me it's not 5th july like i said before but 3rd August now :-//// very frustrated

PropLord likes this.
  8. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Our marketing team will be sending an update about this later today.

Unfortunately the long story short, without any sugarcoating, is that the situation has not improved yet.

The lockdown is still in place, this means our main Cast Metals factory is still not able to resume production at full capacity.
    While we have backup factories, they are unfortunately not able to handle the diverted volume as efficient as we'd like to since they are required to work at minimal staffing, which ofcourse slows down production output.

For this reason the natural silver and brass material., which were still available, have temporarily been disabled as well.

I would have loved to bring you some good news, fact is that it's a very unusual situation we are in right now and we can only hope that the situation improves and that the factory is able to reopen at full capacity and work the backlog away.

Of course if you're at a point where you're not willing to wait any longer, we can fully understand and are willing to help cancel the order for you and provide a full refund.
    Please send an email to service@shapeways.com and our CS team will help.

Again my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Best,
    Mitchell

dadrummond likes this.
  9. PenistoneRailwayWorks
    PenistoneRailwayWorks Well-Known Member
    Would it be possible for you to reinstate the cast materials within the 3d tools part of each model page? That way at least we could continue to design and check models for printability etc. even if we can't order them at the moment. It's really useful to be able to use the thin wall check etc. when pushing close to the material limits.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

aliciafelber, Malwen and EvieL like this.
  10. pt103dotcom
    pt103dotcom Member
    Thank you Mitchell I appreciate your honesty and know SW wants the orders printed as much as we do. But I haven't received any messaging from SW and did not know there was a problem until I saw a post on a model forum... I have a customer waiting for 3 natural bronze parts ordered May 20th, I'll let him know. I would appreciate updates though, not sure why I didn't receive any even though I had a customer with an open order. Is there something I can do to get on a mailing list?

Regards, Jeff

11. pt103dotcom
    pt103dotcom Member
    Never mind, I found the notification. gmail decided the SW messages were a "promotion" and stuck them under that heading which I rarely check.

12. AleaGray
    AleaGray Member
    any infos on cast metals? what is the problem?

13. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    The problem is named COVID-19. It is a deadly virus that is killing people that are not being cautious, staying away from others. If you would turn on your TV and watch either the local or national news on any of the major networks you will learn that the states and cities that have opened up again are seeing a tremendous surge of infections. At present NY State and NY City are pretty much closed down in an attempt to limit the death toll. I am sure that when (HA! "IF"!) the population starts to pay attention to the need to "socially distance", the infection rate will fall and maybe, JUST MAYBE people will be able to go back to work and thus cast metals will again be available.

14. AleaGray
    AleaGray Member
    Dear SemperVaporo... Shapeways is an international company and has two headquarters (USA & Europe) in case you didn't know. ;) I live in Germany and yes I watch the news and see what's goin on in the world right now, thank you very much. Maybe you just assumed I am American? Shapeways doesn't address anything regarding European HQ. I.materialse and Sculpto offer cast metals again and they are in France and Belgium. So here's my question again for my European friends: Is there any news on cast metals for European customers?

15. SemperVaporo
    Well, I don't watch DW News all that often but NHK News indicated that many European countries were watching what was happening in America before they decided to open up further.

16. AleaGray
    AleaGray Member
    When I order cast metals my package doesn't come from the states. I receive it from Netherlands. I don't know where Shapeways produces the cast metals. I think they produce in Europe for European customers and since other "companies" started producing cast metals again I assumed there would be SOME info, but its end of June and still nothing.

17. GoldenFawna
    GoldenFawna Member
  18. GoldenFawna
    GoldenFawna Member
    If the link won't work replace "competitiveservice" with "m a t e r i a l i s e" (no spaces though) in the url. It seems like shapeways blocks their links because they are a competitor.

19. SemperVaporo
    I can't get to it by pasting the link into a new browser page... but copying the link (Right click and select "Copy Link" from the menu) has 'Competitive Service" in it! Modifying the link to change the "% 20" to a space or eliminating it altogether gets me either an error page "Cannot reach this page", or automatically does a BING search that finds some items that concern casting metals, but it searched for "Competitive Service"! I guess ShapeWays is altering your post to remove the name of the other site. But I have seen many posts here in the past that mentions other 3-D printing services. Strange.

Even your next post has the words "competitiveservice" and "Competitive service" in it. AH HA! You found a way to fix that. Thanks.
    Strange that they would change that name... it is a common word that might be used in a sentence that has nothing to do with 3-D printing!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  20. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Time ago someone mentioned casting was done in India, with both SW offices only repackaging and shipping the items. Sounds a lot like the Belgian company.

We did not learn with Thailand 's floods and hard disk drive supply... at least then they weren't the only suppliers of HDD, so it just was bumpy ride and some people made extra cash by selling what was avaliable.