Cool stuff!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UniverseBecoming, Sep 11, 2013.

1. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    WOW! This is amazing news! They have a patinated finish and say they can do the work and get it delivered in ten days! I'm going to make a big order of a number of things and see how their quality is and if it's true that they can deliver on time. If the quality is good and their lead time is as specified, then I will cancel my plans of doing my own castings and just use them, for now.

I have been hoping for for a long time for these two features! This would give me the ability to advertise and then drop ship to my customers. I could also do customizations, like engraving, since every order would be 3D printed. I could also offer every size when it comes to rings since I wouldn't need to spend thousands of dollars maintaining a huge inventory.

Best of all, this will eventually force Shapeways to follow suite and offer the same services with the same lead times in order to remain competitive. This could be the edge of a threshold where we see the full implementation of what the founders first envisioned for Shapeways.

It also means that everyone interested in jewelry design can finally start to consider making a living from their designs. SO COOL!!!

2. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    They write on a press related post that they will give Jewelry Designers the option to sell directly from their site.

I.competitive service filled to IPO so we will expect higher competition. That is the main competitor to Shapeways , yet I like Shapeways more ... reading the I.competitive service forums I got a "chilling" effect.

3. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    I tried uploading some files, but I kept seeing this message: Sorry, failed to measure the volume. We will look into this issue and get back to you shortly.
    :(

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Before anyone in the UK jumps into the dropshipping silver idea... check up on hallmarking laws - currently in the UK it is a criminal offence to advertise silver items for sale without a recognised hallmark, this includes dropshipped items if the advertising person or company is UK based - I don't know how the rest of the EU works, check your local laws.

This is the main reason why I don't advertise my Shapeways silver products.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

5. UniverseBecoming
    Oh, that would be cool too! :D

As for i.competitive service, yeah, they should spend a chunk of money on investing in the development their community. Strange thing is, they have the world's best STL repair software called Magics, but they never seem to take advantage of that fact with their i.competitive service branch.

Yeah I like Shapeways better too. I've been following the development of Shapeways since the very beginning.

6. UniverseBecoming
    I got that too a few times. I just refreshed the page and it started working.

7. UniverseBecoming
    Good point. I know that there are other countries that require it as well. I forgot which ones they are though.

8. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    So I tried ordering a pendant with Rhodium coating at Jewelry District, and this is the result I got in today:
    foto ketting rhodium coating.jpg
    The finishing isn't great, and the time it took to order was not 10 days. Not even close. However, the price is great, especially with the launching offer. And of course, it is very rare to see a rhodium coating for 3D printed jewelry. I'm wondering how fast it will wear, since for this price it cannot be a thick layer. I'm also very curious to their stone setting service that is to be launched half May.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  9. numarul7
    Looks like no polishing got involved ?!

10. UniverseBecoming
    Nice design Daphne! I really like it. It's simple, yet has a very sophisticated and elegant feel to it. You are very talented! :D

[​IMG]

This is a really great photo too!

Maybe you should be a designer and photographer rather that becoming an engineer! HAHA! :D

Yeah, I see the imperfections in the surface quality around the outer edges, also, there's scratches on the left upper leaf as well casting perfections. I would ask them to reprint it if it were mine.

I got my order back a few days late too, but it is EMACULAT QUALITY!! The best I've seen from 3D printing service bureaus and even better than my own work. I was in communication with them since they had questions about two of my pieces and during that conversation they told me that they were going to have a major Korean holiday for two days and that would cause the order to be late. I also asked them about lead times and they said that if finishing such as electroplating is involved then it would be 10 days before shipping, which would be another 3 to 5 days.

As for the thickness of the plating, well they do have a design guide tip saying that intricate details of engravings could be filled in and for them to say that might mean that they do a thick enough plating to cause that to happen.

Overall, so far, I am VERY impressed with them and I can hardly wait to get started advertising and selling my jewelry designs for the first time in three years of working on this!

11. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    Thanks! And I'm really curious about your creations! Can you post pictures?
    I'm okay with this quality since the picture is very detailled and the imperfections aren't visible when wearing. But it's good to hear that they can do better.

12. UniverseBecoming
    Sure Daphne, I'll make a post once I take them. But I hate taking pictures of things because I'm too much of a perfectionist and it takes me longer than normal people because of that. I have to keep taking taking taking TAKINGGG until I get it how I like it! HAHA! :D

Speaking of pictures, I sent you a PM about one of your pendents, check your Shapeways forum inbox. :)

13. UniverseBecoming
    What the hell is the world a coming too?!! HAHAHA! :D

TOO COOL! :D

14. UniverseBecoming
    Daphne, they featured some of my designs on their main page! :D You have to watch the page for a bit and then the main picture will change showing my skull ring, iron cross ring and my Freemason belt buckle. :D

I'd post the images here, but umm I think Shapeways might like it better if I didn't :p

15. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    It looks great! Very detailed. Is that you real name beneath the picture? With the whole III added? It sounds like royalty.

I'm really liking their new colours. I must order something in purple but first I need to design something new. Hmm.

16. UniverseBecoming
    hehe Yup, that's my full name! :D Maybe someday I'll make a James William Kincaid the IV.

Yeah I saw those, I'm liking the black and the green. I'll eventually make something super evil looking and do it in all black. I need to think of something to design too. :)

Shapeways is still in the lead slightly with their platinum, 18k gold, 14k gold, 14k white gold and 14k rose gold. I can hardly wait till someone orders something in platinum! YUS! :D

17. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    True, Shapeways offers great high end materials. But have you seen the two toned model? Love it! :D I have no clue how to upload a model and say: I want that part in silver and that part in purple, but it should be possible somehow. And combined with the stone setting, the options are so much more. 3D printing and goldsmith combined!
    Although it would probably be out of my price range for jewelry I normally wear. I wanted to design something as a birthday gift for someone, but I missed the deadline for that (getting hit by a car and smashing the windshield with my head did not improve my productivity this week). Guess I'll have to think of something else.

18. UniverseBecoming
    AWWWW!! I'M SORRY THAT HAPPENED TO YOU! :*(

Well, at least you sound ok. You must be pretty tough to get hit like that and get back to normal like nothing happened. hehe :D

As for two tone I think they communicate by images mainly. YES! I love it too! I'm craving to make something! However, I need to stay focused on my other things for right now. ugggg.

When in doubt, Dutch chocolate! HAHA!! :D Makes a great gift every time! Well, at least over here it does, over there it's probably nothing. hehe :p

JK :)

I wanna design something Daphne! Let's make a spaceship and fly away! HAHAHA! :D

I've just been working on my current project for too long and I'm feeling like wanting to get the next thing. :)

19. numarul7
    @Daphne don`t forget to check your head time to time , head traumas kinda happen to be not take serious but a little hit can lad big trouble in years to come like *bad memory *etc. Other than that , we glad you are still alive! :)

20. UniverseBecoming
    Here's to the cool ones.

Lagoa!

:)