Converting An X3db File For Solidworks Use

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by rdgrail, Oct 16, 2016.

1. rdgrail
    rdgrail Member
    Help!!!
    Does anyone know how I can convert an x3db file so that I can work with the model in solidworks? I recently created an ornament on shapeways and downloaded it, and would like to modify it a little bit if possible. Any help would be awesome.

Thx,
    Nick

2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    You can use netfabb to convert it to an stl file. Meshlab might also do more conversions.

rdgrail likes this.
  3. rdgrail
    rdgrail Member
    What's netfabb? Got a link?

4. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Hmmmm, good question. I use a copy of netfabb studio basic that used to be a free download. But it looks like netfabb may have been acquired by Autodesk and I can't find a link on their site to this basic freeware version. Does anyone else know what's up with this and if the free version of netfabb is still available from a safe source?

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    There is or was a link to "Legacy Download" in the footer of the netfabb webpage. I have not tried that latest version though - I think I saw some designers here complain about the cloud version doing an unwanted mesh decimation lately.

6. fbf371e
    fbf371e Member
    It appears Netfabb no longer has a free version. Anyone know of another way to convert x3db files?

7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    There is still a "30 days free trial" version available for Windows that some here have said will continue working with the reduced functionality of the former free version after the 30 days. They do appear to have removed the versions for other operating systems however.
    Not sure if meshlab (meshlab.net) does this conversion as well, but I just noticed they have released a new and apparently heavily rewritten version in december.

8. fbf371e
    fbf371e Member
    Thank you for the quick reply. Was working with Blender, but maybe these tools will be more efficient for what I'm trying to do.

9. GeekSecret
    GeekSecret Member
    Meshlab does not import .x3db files. And Netfabb doesn't work on Mac. Apparently Netfabb is the only program that exists that can import .x3db files?

10. fb7ea70
    fb7ea70 Member
    @GeekSecret let me know if you ever found a program lol cheers

11. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member