Closed: My Producer Made A Strange Request And I Could Use A Designer!

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 1507655_deleted, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Essentially, he wants me to build a spine. Including ribs. That he could use for a short film, I think he said 'cut shot' to show how the lower spine was busted (As in an x-ray shot) and the 'enemy' was broken/dying/whatever.

I can figure that, hey, I can do that! Except he then went on to say he requires a Mortal Combat-style Pelvis connected to the spine shot. like in real life..

He's basically asking me to make a simulation of a spine and pelvis for a 6'2 man so he can break it in the 'cut shot'

Which is why I'm asking if you designers can do that. If anyone can.

I'm at home so I can also say I'm seeking another job.

I'd just like the design costs firsts. Then maybe I can tell him it's massively expensive and avoid this whole mess.

2. GAFSADESIGN
    GAFSADESIGN Well-Known Member
    pm sent

3. GrumpyAlison
    GrumpyAlison Well-Known Member
    I could potentially help you with this, but the cost of printing a realistically sized rib cage/spine would be pretty insane I'd imagine (at least 200+ for the print only, and that's being extremely conservative). Not to mention, it may even be too large to print in the strong and flexible plastic (which has the largest print volume available) which entails printing it in pieces and assembling it on the spot.

It may actually be simpler to do a simulation of the rib cage splitting open and comp it in in post production...

I'll send you a pm with more details on pricing/etc.
    In the mean time, here's a link to my website if you want to check out some of my work: http://alison.friedlander.me

Cheers!
    Alison

4. Thanks for the response and the info.

Yeah, I knew he was massively underestimating the level of complexity and cost. It's a small budget production but he thinks he's in Hollywood or something.

Ugh. I'm going to have an annoying day on Monday.

But again, thanks for the info and I hope you have a good day!

5. Moderators, you can close this thread.

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    While the thread is still there, allow me to suggest taking a small print of a human skeleton (guess there will be a number of them already available in the shop section here) and shooting that short scene with a macro lens ?
    (Should be possible to overlay it on images of the "victim" actor, or fill with flesh-colored putty for realism)

7. DBTops
    DBTops Well-Known Member
    This is certainly a job for an animator, No need to print the skeleton out.

8. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Closed per request :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.