CG artist with Full Body 3D scanner available (NL)

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by tristan_bethe, Aug 21, 2010.

1. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    Hi,

A while back I created a 3D scan studio here in Alkmaar, The Netherlands for another project I am currently working on.

I am able to do a full body 3D scan using the 3 point Creaform3D scanner

Also very small object can be scanned using a NextEngine Laserscanner

For some examples visit:

http://3dpersons.com/

Please contact me if you need something digitized or have any questions regarding the process or its possibilities.

Because of the nature of 3D scanning this will probably apply most to people living in the Netherlands.

Attached Files:

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    Nice! What kind of price range are we talking about for a scan?

Is the studio fixed, or mobile? (As in, could you visit us and scan the team? ;)

Bart

3. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    :) It used to be mobile. But I kind of immobilized it by almost fusing it to the room.

I could pack it all in and set it all up in Eindhoven if it involved enough people to make it worth the effort and if you have atleast a 4x5 meter space free to set it all up in.

And price is a bit variable. A textureless scan is much quicker to post process than one with decent textures. (since it is a mobile setup normally it is not exactly a push of a button affair to get a full scan)

The scanners do make a texture but it is pretty poor quality wise so during the scan I take separate hi res photos and paint them on the scans afterwards.

Unfortunately I am still unable to print a colored version of a mini-me trough the shapeways servers due to the wrl/small scale/to many point issue. so maybe having you own scans would be a great incentive to figure out a solution? :twisted:

Price range goes from 300 - 1400 euros a person depending how detailed it need to be.

Would be cool if the next material sample pack would consist of the Shapeway action figures in different materials :p

4. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    That is a huge scanner, sounds like fun...

5. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    Well actually It is a pretty portable scanner if you use it as they advertise: http://www.creaform3d.com/en/pdf/mega-capturor_Brochure.pdf

It came with 3 very nice flight cases. But since my primary use did not involve lugging it around I build some Wooden stands so they stand rock solid without the need to re-calibrate when I accidentally bump it when it is on a tripod.

Film studios often use these scanners on location since the normal huge scanners they use (like the cyberware scanners) cost more to ship half way around the world then the creaform3d scanners and just put it on a plane.

But you are right it is kinda fun to have fun to have a digital mini-me :cool:

6. bartv
    bartv Member
    If you want, I can take a look at a scanned model for you.. Did you try any polygon reduction with tools like MeshLab?

Bart

7. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    Thanks, You actually allready checked my model last week. Check you inbox at 16 augustus 2010 15:09 :)

I did allready optimized the model in 3ds max in my case. I always check the models in meshlab to check if the 3ds max check checks out and it always does.

Since the problem is that due to the scaling all the points get merged into one and you get an non manifold issue I tried to make an over optimized version that would look pretty poor if it actually went trough the server but that one also did not.

I sort of gave up and asked a local 3d printing company to do it but it will cost me 5 times more than when printed at shapeways (if it worked)

I think the color prints I do see have very little vertexes or are really huge?
    being able to upload in mm in stead of 0.18 for an 180mme model should do the trick I guess.

Does it matter if I tick the mm radio button when uploading .wrl files by any chance? That would explain it but I thought I read somewhere that only applied for STL files.

I think I would have quite some people wanting to order a 3D statuette of them self if this would work. But my experiments are a bit at a dead end right now. Oh and painting the white and flexible models is really really hard :)

8. bartv
    bartv Member
    Ah! I have the memory of a shrimp :)

The millimeter setting applies only to STL models, yes. We're aware of the calculation accuracy problem with VRML files and are working on a solution. We *think* it's a rather easy fix for us but then again, computer often prove otherwise ;)

Bart

9. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    Ah cool! Could you give me an update when you found a fix. Then I can leave it to rest for now.

Any rough ETA? Is it months of or weeks?

Thx

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    <cough!>weeks!<cough!>

Don't tell software development I said that ;)

11. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    <cough!> stealing this poor guys thread (tsk tsk Bart) <cough!> Well I guess it wouldn't be stealing more running off topic.

Too bad I'm poor and live in the US. I'd love a 3D scan of myself. So everyone could print me and bask in my beauty.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  12. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    well,,, it's a small investment,, but i think everbody would love to have a miniature Jettuh :blush:

13. 70187_deleted
    70187_deleted Member
    Hi,

This is an old post, but I try to ask anyway.

What do you think about NextEngine? I have been
    thinking about to buy it, but I don't have previous experience
    about 3D scanners.

14. tristan_bethe
    tristan_bethe Member
    I am very happy with my Nextengine scanner it is a breeze to use, the software is very simple and streamlined and the scanning is very detailed. Do you have any specific use in mind?