Ceramical questions...

Discussion in 'Materials' started by DavidVillalbaDesign, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Hi I don't know if this has been asked before, but after extensive search (and review of the ceramics design rules) I still have a few questions regarding Ceramics, and I though I'll ask here.

First off all, is the glaze, sprayed on, brushed or are figures dipped on it? I ask this, because I am creating a figure with a hollow interior with minor cuts and would like to know just how much thickness am I adding (1mm glaze each side).

Second, the recommended thickness for a 120mm wall is 3mm, but if its just 90 can I lower it? or is it 3mm the minimum?

Third, the wall thickness.. any chance the 3mm is with the glaze on? 1mm glaze+1mm ceramic+ 1mm glaze? Or is it 1mm glaze+ 3mm ceramic+ 1mm glaze total 5mm thickness?? Because 5mm I think feels thick for a espresso cup..

Fourth it is mentioned that we must have an obvious bottom for the piece, (and I think mine does, well sort off) but just to play on the safe side, how do I mark the bottom? Will my signature at the bottom be sufficient?

Thanks!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    3mm walls is the minimum thickness of the design. The glaze can be up to 1mm thick as it will be thicker in area's where it can pool, and thinner on standing walls. The glazing is applied by dipping, and is pretty thorough. As far as the obvious bottom, I'd make sure that your upload is properly oriented, and it never hurts to email service to let them know that you have the model oriented properly.

3. ok. Thanks, Youknowwho4eva!

4. Greetings Shapeways,

I also had a question about the ceramic material. I read that you must use caution with sharp edges on your model, as they are prone to cracking inside the kiln. What if I want a nice discernible edge? Should I chamfer them just in case (see photo)? The obtuse angle created from once surface to the next, makes me believe it wouldn't be a problem when fired, but what are your thoughts?

Also, is layer stepping a big problem for small ceramic pieces? Thanks!

pint-tulip-shot.png
    Tulip Shot Glass, 1.83" x 3.25", 1.5oz (44ml)

[color=840000]-Ward.Eight-[/color]

5. Youknowwho4eva
    This is for both of you. x+y+z≥120mm is the minimum bounding box for ceramics. So D-sign, a 90mm item wouldn't be printable in ceramic, and Ward.Eight, the minimum bounding box doesn't exactly allow for small items. As for stepping, The pieces I've seen have no visible stepping, as the glaze covers that up.

Ward.Eight, the problem with those sharp edges will be the glaze will not want to hold onto those sharp edges. And if it does hold, your final product will not be sharp like that as the glaze will reduce the detail.

6. I know, 90mm just the height, Total XYZ 170mm

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Ah ok, to clarify the thickness requirements, those are based on they sum of the xyz.

8. The Design specifications say that embossed details need to be at least 2mm. However when those details are complicated, it is impossible to meet the other rule... Minimum radius 2mm. This is just a name at the bottom. Must it be filleted to 2mm too?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  9. Youknowwho4eva
    If you engrave the text it wouldn't be *necessary as the radius is for the glazing. Now I put a * there because, as a requirement, it may still be required to have a radius even though it would be in an unglazed area.