Can't Save The Edit Product Page

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Tresob, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    I go to the Edit Product page for an item I just uploaded, change the title, fill the description field, select the various metatags, choose materials and set prices, click save...

And everything comes back blank with the original file name.

I'm using Firefox.

2. Tresob
    Tresob Member
    Still can't edit products...save removes everything I enter. :(

3. rue_d_etropal
    rue_d_etropal Member
    I am having same problem. I edited one item OK yesterday , tried a second and started having this problem.

4. rue_d_etropal
    rue_d_etropal Member
    Managed a couple of edits in another browser(I was also using Firefox), but then got a message saying it was being held as private waiting shapeways to tell me it was OK. ????? Also get a security message sometimes whe it fails t update.

5. rue_d_etropal
    rue_d_etropal Member
    Getting 'set to Private Pending' now even on a different browser. This bug needs to be fixed . I wonder if it is related to the bug affecting deleted items.

6. I'm getting this too, not cool Shapeways.

7. rue_d_etropal
    rue_d_etropal Member
    I found that changing the description slightly will stop it happening. Just change something, or leave out a word, and upload with a slightly different name. Eventually it will work(and they will get a lot of totally unwanted designs to look at and release, clogging up their system).
    Something weird in the way they check the text. Something in the algorithm in the code.The ones pending will get looked at and released. Just takes a while. Not just a nuisance but it wastes their time which could be used to sort out more important problems.

8. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Have they started to check product names/descriptions for key words or does this apply to everything? I don't recall there being any official announcement or notation on the user manual recent updates/changes log page.

9. sozzap23
    sozzap23 Well-Known Member
    I've been getting this too, again another frustration for the sellers. Once again making our buyer wait for products they've ordered. Not sure which (how can I put this nicely...) incompetent altered this? and more to the point why? it seems to affect items that have the description then how many parts in the set i.e DESCRIPTION X2.
    So unless Shapeways think that most of their sellers have an issue with counting... of course we're all stupid enough to create highly complex 3D models in high end 3D software but no, we can't count... good going Shapeways. Please resolve this as this is just one more nail in the coffin. Sorry for being grumpy, but when you spend up to 12 hours a day trying to create parts for people all over the globe the last thing I need is something that makes my life trickier.

10. sozzap23
    So, it's literally every product I create now, doesn't matter about the name or changing the name, size of product etc...
    I have contacting customer service and expect this to be resolved promptly.

11. rolsen01
    rolsen01 Well-Known Member
    Same here, every part goes to 'private pending review by Shapeways team'. They're REALLY going to check every part before they contact us to tell us its OK to sell?

sozzap23 likes this.
  12. sozzap23
    I still haven't heard from customer services and no comment from a Shapeways staff member is always a sign that they've cocked something up (again). Please resolve this issue as I work long hard hours to bring my loyal customers the best parts possible!

13. Hmm, new uploads seem to be working fine, I can upload, offer for sale and then edit. ut models that were already uploaded before yesterday I cannot edit without them being taken off sale "pending review". Am I really going to have to upload everything again?

14. sozzap23
    Don't make the same mistake I just made... wait until you get confirmation from shapeways, go and check the product, resave... takes you back to square one where some employee that's of course far more skilled in 3D modelling, product design and 3D printing than myself makes a decision on my product for me. I'm glad to have such a great partner that treats me like idiot...

15. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for not getting to this topic earlier and my apologies for models not getting approved faster than one would like.

Shapeways is required to do certain checks on models to make sure they are not infringing on any trademarks.
    For this reason some models are automatically set to private until the model is manually approved by us.

So this has nothing do to with us thinking you are being able to count Simon, in fact, I know you're a talented designer :)

Once again our apologies for the inconvenience.

16. sozzap23
    Hi Mitchell

Firstly would like to thank you for your reply, will get onto that in a moment. Secondly sorry for your initial misunderstanding of my post regarding not being able to count. I didn't imply that it Shapeways staff that couldn't count but Shapeways possibly thinking we designers couldn't count. I notice you have retracted your initial reply so once again thank you. I have a unique blend of British sarcasm and Kiwi humour which is probably hard to grasp for a lot of people! :)

Now on to the trademark issue...

It would be good to have some clarification on Shapeways behalf regarding this, whether this is levelled at certain designers or is a blanket check across all new products. Also what exactly the trademark issues are. For example I know for a fact that a seller in my field is using models used in various publications (however inaccurate they may be). Now does Shapeways know from the publisher that they hold the rights to these 3D models or not? I know this as I'm quite knowledgeable in the field (though far from being an expert). Now I'm not going to 'grass' on the seller nor would I expect a Shapeways employee to even know this as to do so one would have to be at least as knowledgeable as myself or a few other sellers on here.

Also, when in comes to using models from computer games, many models are recycled from computer games and in all honesty I myself on occasion will use an existing 3D model as a template or starting point if you like to create a better quality version of the model. Is this infringing on trademarks or copyright? if so then I'd go as far to say three quarters of the content on Shapeways falls into this catagory!

Or, is it just a case of something that's as obvious as a product like this: 1/72 Scale Disney's Star Wars X-Wing Fighter including Luke Skywalker with rotatable head:) which contain many trademarks.

If so then are all the shops selling sci-fi (star wars, star trek etc... ships) in breech of the trademark?

I'm sure it's a very complicated issue and on behalf of all your sellers some clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

17. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    We for one have a contract with Paramount that allows us to produce our ships. We also have one with Franz Joseph (and his estate). And yes, we pay Paramount and Franz Joseph royalties.

We are completely legal with the ships we produce.

Jean

18. sozzap23
    Hi Jean

Sorry I didn't want to single anyone out I just used 2 well known franchises as an example.

I guess I always assumed that large companies wouldn't allow small businesses to create products based on their trademarks. Obviously in the Star Trek example I was wrong (BTW I'm a big fan of starship design myself and always fancied making an Excelsior kit seeing as the old ERTL kit was sh*t and tiny!). However I'm guessing that Disney/Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar trademarks would be a different kettle of fish.

Anyway, just some clarification on what and who's trademarks we're watching out for would be good.

19. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    I cannot answer for Paramount, but I suspect that most of the well-known ST ships on Shapeways are less than legal. However, we don't own the IP for those ships and only the IP holder can file a complaint.

20. sozzap23
    It certainly is an interesting topic and a potential can of worms. For example I could could create something that looked like a ST vessel but give it a non trademark name like USS Warspite (just an example...), would that be against the IP? it is a tricky subject.

Seeing as my projects/parts are historical/factual then as far as I know I don't think anyone owns the rights to historical objects! But once again some clarification would be useful.