Can't import model with color

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 431515_deleted, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I have a little problem right now. I'm using Blender 2.6.2, and I'm trying to export a model I was given so that it will display in color for the sandstone option.

It has UV texture mapping, however, every time I save it to .STL or .VRML 97 (not VRML 1!) it either uploads without the color or, when zipped, gives me an error.

The only other thing I should mention is that the model seems to be 'linked' to several textures, including some unneeded ones too that belong to other models in the folder. I've tried a few online tutorials, following them step by step but for one reason or another I can't seem to link it to just the one texture. If I move/rename the texture then regardless of where the model is saved, I lose the texture completely. Similarly, even when I redirect Blender to the correct file - It just flat out will not let me apply it.

I don't know a huge deal about Blender, as I'm only just starting to understand the basics. But if anyone could help me with this, it would be much appreciated.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    1. STL format can not contain color or texture information.
    2. Make sure that you use one of the supported file formats for your texture - GIF, PNG or JPEG, but not BMP or TIFF.
    3. VRML97/VRML2/X3D files are plain text files. You can open them in a text editor and look for the ImageTexture entries that contain the names of your texture files - make sure these are the expected files, and that the names do not contain any folder or windows drive letter information.
    4. Preview the VRML97 file with a VRML viewer such as view3dscene

3. Hi,

Thanks very much for your response.

I've saved it in VRML97, but unfortunately the texture still disappears when I open it in view3dscene (which is a very handy little program - Thank you for suggesting it).

Here's what my file reads when opened (as close to relevance):

material DEF MA_Grey_snowleo-_png Material
    diffuseColor 0.4 0.3 0.4
    ambientIntensity 0.1678767
    specularColor 0.1213408 0.363608 0.3282908
    emissiveColor 0.0 0.0 0.0
    shininess 0.0012551
    transparency 0.0
    }

There's no links to the computer drive, and the texture file (snowleo-.png) is in the same folder as the model. The .OBJ which also resides there seems to have no trouble accessing the texture, so I don't believe the texture file is corrupt.

However, there doesn't seem to be any sign of 'ImageTexture' anywhere in the text file - Should I add it manually? If so, whereabouts would I place it?

If it matters any, I tell Blender not to compress the VRML97 file when saving.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Blender appears to have retained only the name of your file, using it as the label for a uniform grayish color. I guess there are some "texture-baking" options in blender that need to be applied for textured models to be exported correctly.
    You could try replacing everything from "diffuseColor" to "transparency" with just

texture ImageTexture { url "snowleo-.png" }

but the orientation of your texture might be incorrect.

5. Unfortunately that didn't work either!

But thanks very much for all your help. After what you just wrote, I had a look online, and it does appear that Blender requires them to be Baked for VRML exports. Looks like I'll have to find a tutorial on that.

Once again, many thanks!