Can Shapeways Polish The Model Inside

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by monk3947, Feb 5, 2017.

1. monk3947
    monk3947 Well-Known Member
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    That link to the model won't work - that's the upload link. Also.. your model must be public before others can see it.

Check this video.. the polishing stones shown must be free to reach the inside of the model.

3. monk3947
  4. hanelyp
    hanelyp Well-Known Member
    I'm aware of a model where the polishing stones were able to reach the inside of the model, and not get out again. A case of having holes just large enough to squeeze through, leading to a larger hollow.

5. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Based on the video I'd estimate the size of a polishing pellet is about the same as a Tic-Tac candy. Do you think one would be able to enter this 3.1 cm wide polyhedron? My guess is no, although it would depend on the actual sizes of pellets or other media being used today.

6. donest
    donest Member
    I recently received my first item from Shapeways. It was a ring. For the heck of it, I had it made in stainless steel. I was surprised to see that it was completely BLACK when I got it. It seems to be oxidized. From the heat in the process? I thought it would look like other shiny stainless items that I have seen on the site.
    I've worked in the silver industry for over 50 years and have worked on the steel dies to stamp silver. I know what they look like when they come back from being hardened...black oxidize. I thought that as a matter of routine Shapeways would tumble polish all stainless steel items.?

7. monk3947
    black stainless steel? i think you can send an email to shapeways to see what happen. and you can try to get the weight and to see if they are made from other material :)