Cake Topper

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by TurtlesAreCool, Jul 10, 2011.

1. On the second try, the cake topper has been printed to my satisfaction. This model, once painted, will be placed on top of the wedding cake of a former college roommate of mine. It is intended to be a representation of the two of them in "fantasy" style. Now, all that remains is to paint it in the black/white/red/silver scheme I'm planning...

The model is a little over 3.5 inches tall, in case you are wondering. I'm guessing it weighs about 3-4 ounces, so it shouldn't be too heavy for the cake at all.

Regarding the pictures, I confess that I was a little lazy with these shots. I'm about *this* far from getting a new camera, as mine is a 6-year-old cheap digital one. If I jump for a better quality camera, I'll probably get a lightbox set up so I don't have to do my ghetto setup using Shapeways boxes and a few pieces of paper. :D

1-front.JPG
    2-left.JPG
    3-back.JPG
    4-right.JPG

2. dizingof
    dizingof New Member

Your work deserve better pics ! ;)

3. Thanks, dizingof. If you have any suggestions for a better camera (and/or setup), I'm all ears. I'm highly tempted by the quality results of digital SLRs, but I don't use my camera enough to justify even the price of an entry-level one.

4. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
    its so happens that i my self on a look out for a new one too ;)

i had my eye on Canon SX30 IS

5. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  6. With the arrival of my new camera (that came fast!) is the arrival of better pictures! I still need to understand the settings of this camera, but auto mode worked well enough. In fact, I'd almost rather it didn't show quite so much detail - the rough texture of my painting is quite evident...

Front:
    1-front.JPG

Left:
    2-left.JPG

Back:
    3-back.JPG

Right:
    4-right.JPG