Break-a-way designs.

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Ray716, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    I Have a design that i am thinking of doing. I want to have a randomly shaped hole in the center of a solid wall. So, I was wondering if I made a very thin wall on a design to be printed in Stainless Steel, say 0.02mm thick, Could I get it printed? Or would it be rejected out of hand?

Thanks for the time!

Ray

2. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    If it was just a thin wall and nothing else, you're out of luck. If it were properly supported... .02 mm is still very tiny, and I don't think Shapeways can do detail quite that small in Stainless steel. Though, if you wanted to do a thin wall inside some sort of frame and upload it as an experiment, I'm sure everyone would be interested in knowing the results. :)

3. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Well the idea is to make a two layered design. The bottom layer would have a high texture design, The top layer would have a regular sized wall, then would go down very thin, so it would break during cleaning.. That way it looks like the hole happened naturally! Rather than a modeled hole. And I do plan on making a model for it.. I'm just still working on learning Blender :)

Ray