Boeing 747 Nose Model

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by niall_mcc, Apr 17, 2017.

1. niall_mcc
    niall_mcc New Member
    Hey, first post on here and I'm completely new to 3D printing.

Myself and a friend want to do a 3D print of a Boeing 747 nose at a 1:72 scale. The issue is the model we're using is ported from a game and the geometry is a mess, full of overlapping vertices and other issues. Is there a quick way to fix this without manually bridging each vertice?

I've attached a sample of the file we're dealing with, thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    The model you uploaded is not too bad. I used Netfabb to remove some of the loose parts such as antennas, etc.
    Then I used Blender to subdivision the surface.. making it quite a bit smoother.

Attached Files:

3. niall_mcc
    niall_mcc New Member
    Thanks @stonysmith Do you mind explaining how you fixed the overlapping geometry? Is there a tool in Netfabb to adjust wall thickness as we need hollow the windows out and keep printing costs down.

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Let me start that my method is not for beginners.. I've got a lot of experience (several hundred hours) with Netfabb, so I can bend its limitations to my evil purposes <grin>

In Netfabb, I used the "Repair" tool, and manually walked around the model selecting loose shells and deleting them. As to fixing the overlapping shells, I used a combination of these two methods:
    http://stonysmith.com/wired/Netfabb_Tutorial_1/default.asp
    http://stonysmith.com/wired/Netfabb_Tutorial_2/default.asp
    The basic idea is to delete the stuff you don't want, and to add extra triangles to force shells to join together. Patience and Experience (trial and error) is your friend.

One of the simplest tools for making it hollow/adding thickness is to use Blender. Delete the big oval at the back for the fuselage, delete the "glass" for the windows, and then use the "Solidify" operator in Blender to add thickness.. with the end result of making it hollow.

Personally, I get better results using Meshlab to create an offset (inner) shell and then subtract it from the outer body. Blender may work well on this model, but sharp corners/edges are troublesome for Blender. I'd suggest searching the forums.. there are several mini-tutorials on making things hollow.

FYI.. I used Blender to do the SurfaceSubdivision.

5. Anyuta3D
    Anyuta3D Well-Known Member
    Dear Niall Mccormack / niall_mcc,

Already sent you PM with all info & files you need - have a look on the following screenshots. Keep in mind that 747_Nose_V03.obj 3D model you presented, was completely out of scale and with L/W/H ratio wrong. All dimensions are now fixed and you can proceed for an accurate to scale 1/72 scale B744 miniature.

The tiny (and brittle too) pitot tube sensors & antennas, were not included into the 3D model, since they could not survive the 3D printing process, handling and shipping to your postal address. They can be easily added / scratchbuilt later, before you mold the 3D printed object in order to resin cast the 1/72 scale B744 miniature.

For additional info & directions, feel free to contact with us.

Regards,
    Anyuta 3D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM