Blender question: is there a function for finding unconnected meshes?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by AotrsCommander, Jun 11, 2010.

1. AotrsCommander
    AotrsCommander Well-Known Member
    I've had a couple of models recently that have ended up having thin floating sections, which are causing problems for Shapeways. (See attached image.)

I draw my designs in TurboCAD, then export and .dxf to Blender and out as a .stl.

The parts in question were drawn by changing to workplane (by snapping to three points on the surface) , drawing a polyline and then extruding the shape. I'm not sure whether the error has come from me not QUITE getting the workplane right (it's easy to snap to the wrong point or the grid sometimes, if the grid is (because of others things I've been doing) close to the point. Or It might simply be a randomly-ocurring error somewhere between the translators,

Anyway, these problems are not really visible in TurboCAD. Now that I know what I'm looking for in Blender, I can see that they aren't attached to the main body; but because I Boolean Add everything in TCAD, Blender doesn't see it as a seperate object.

So, my question is, does anyone know if there a function in Blender than looks for meshes not connected? (Even if they are part of the same grouped object?)

If not, I'll just have to do it the hard way i.e. trial and error (with th complexity of the model, I can't really check every vertex manually!)

Attached Files:

2. Eeppium
    Eeppium New Member
    You can select conneted vertices by point your mouse at the vertex and press "L" this will select only the verts that are connected to eachother,
    Or select just one vert and press Ctrl and numpad + this "spreads" the selection.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. AotrsCommander
    AotrsCommander Well-Known Member
    Yep, that'll do it. Thanks.

Edit:

Well, it seems part of my problem is incompetance (as least two parts were actually sat on top of thin air, where I'd apparently not put an extrusion - and it wasn't fraggin' obvious, either...), but some the problem appears to be that it's a bt of luck whether Blender translates the .dxf as it didn't seem to be too consistant.

At any rate, I can at least do a check for these errors now thanks to that!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  4. Mafiagenious
    Mafiagenious New Member
    I'd just like to add that ctrl + alt + shift + M in edit mode will select all edges that pretty much the shapeways printers don't like. I think it selects vertices connected to under or over 2 other vertices but I'm not 100% sure. But it should select all the bad edges in your mesh anyway.

5. Drawn_Steel_Hero
    Drawn_Steel_Hero New Member
    Just a quick thought; I thought TurboCAD already had the ability to export to STL directly (I just Googled it, and it looks like it'sone of about 5 filetypes it can export to); do you even need Blender to translate it? :confused

Andy