Black Strong And Flexible -- Finish?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Pablo0515, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Pablo0515
    Pablo0515 Member
    I got a bit confused as a result of the various announcements and cancellations of new finishes for the various materials, beta groups, dye mansion etc.
    I think it was said earlier on that the Black Strong and Flexible would receive a new extra treatment at no extra cost (press release regarding DyeMansion). Later I see that some of the Strong and Flexible materials (orange, blue, green..) got a Polished version when you're part of beta group. But not for black ... Now there is a black premium material (2x costs), and a Black HP Strong and flexible.... These latest 2 alternatives have very differente price points and/or leadtimes.

I've tested the Strong and Flexible Polished in orange and blue. These material and finish option results in absolutely gorgeous prints, with decent pricing and leadtimes. What would now be the equivalent material / option in black?

Any insight is much appreciated!
  2. Daphne_Lameris
    Daphne_Lameris Shapeways Employee Product Team
    The black S&F material is not polished. The polishing process leaves little marks and scratches that are not visible on the lighter colors, but very visible on black. The Premium black is polished significantly longer than the colored polished materials + has an extra DyeMansion treatment. This treatment also improves some properties (more dirt resistant, water resistant and more even surface structure, roughness and color).

So if you want to order normal black or premium black depends on the desired finish. If you're happy with the orange & blue strong & flexible, normal black strong & flexible is the closest to this finish. If you find it too rough, go for the premium option.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know!
  3. Pablo0515
    Pablo0515 Member
    Thanks for that info, that helps to reason about it all.