Bermuda Jumblix by OSKAR

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Oskar_van_Deventer, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,

Bermuda Jumblix is a serendipitous combination of Jumblix and Bermuda Minx. Jumblix was designed by Oskar in 2009. Then in 2012 Bermuda Minx by MF8 came out. Baiqiang from China discovered that parts from that puzzle could be reused to build Jumblix, requiring only a new core. This Shapeways model is that new core. The fit is not perfect, as the angles inside a regular dodecahedron are a few degrees different from a pentagonal prism, but the turning is surprisingly good despite that. I am still wondering how Mr. Baiqiang discovered this.

The pieces of Bermuda Minx and the new core can be used to build the regular Jumblix and many "Bermuda-ized" variations of Jumblix. And those pieces can also be used to build a regular Crazy Comet and many "Bermuda-ized" version of that, see the post on Bermuda Comet.

I find it quite surprising that pieces of a puzzle can be reused for another puzzle with a completely different geometry. I find it even more surprising that the pieces can be used for a third geometry as well. Obviously, this is some sort of modding, but it is definitely not shape-modding. Would "core-modding" be a proper term for what is going on here?

Watch the YouTube video.
    Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
    Buy MF8 Bermuda Minxes at HKnowstore.
    Read more at the Twisty Puzzles Forum.
    Check out the photos below. More photos here.

Enjoy!

Oskar
    Bermuda-Jumblix---view-1.jpg
    Bermuda-Jumblix---view-4.jpg
    Bermuda-Jumblix---view-5.jpg
    Bermuda-Jumblix---core.jpg
    Bermuda Jumblix part count.jpg