Axis Problem With Obj

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by Texelion, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Texelion
    Texelion Active Member
    Heya, I cannot seem to get a proper render for my models when using OBJ. I export my models from Zbrush with the 3D print exporter, in WRL for color prints, it works fine, Y axis is up, as you can see here :

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WQ3WW2USV/sandra-claus-w-snowball?optionId=80507816

But when I try the same in obj for uncolored smooth plastic prints, the render never works and the model is rotated. Changing the axis to Y-up does nothing. I tried to generate the renders at least a dozen times.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KG3UFBAH3/sandra-claus-w-snowball-mini?optionId=80507832

And this is the product page with the render window, the renders stay horizontal despite the preview being vertical : axisproblem.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    I suggest rotating the model in your 3D app so as to end up with it rotated after OBJ upload. Face down perhaps. -S

3. Texelion
    Texelion Active Member
    No the print axis is good, it's just the render that fails. See here the print is indeed 40mm tall, on the Y axis. Then in the product render it's rotated on the Z axis. Doesn't make any sense.

axisproblem2.jpg

4. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    The problem is that the product render direction display tool has not been working reliably for months. People have tried various work arounds that sometimes work but not always. The one thing that should always work is to rotate the orientation of the model in your CAD tool and then upload it again.

Another problem is that not all file formats have the same "up" although some CAD tools have the ability to swap axes when you write the file to disk. The final wild card is whether Shapeways itself is being internally consistent when displaying the model/product in various windows within the site. You might need to experiment until you get things right on your product page.