Automated Calculation Of Pricing

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sunnyewelry, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:15 AM.

Do you think it is a good idea to have an automated way of calculating prices within the UI?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sunnyewelry
    sunnyewelry Member
    Hi,

I am missing a function within Shapeways when I am adding a product and editing it, from which I can't imagine that I am the only one who is missing it. Anyone else? Or is there an option and I do not know yet?

My use case:
    I am adding a new product to shapeways and I want to sell it in 13 different materials and 17 different sizes (= 17 different uploaded 3D models), which means, that I am getting 221 lines of products for calculating the prices within the table in the section "Pricing and Model Files".
    I now want to add a markup of 20% to all the offered models – and now comes the best part:
    I have to calculate and edit every field of these 221 fields manually one by one!

What I would need:
    An input field above the column "Markup" in which I can type in the percentage of the markup I want and an automated way of shapeways calculating all the 221 fields automatically.

Is there an option I did not see yet to do it in a similar way? Or is this planned and a high prioritized requirement already? I just can't imagine that I am the only one who is struggling with that a lot. It costs me hours of editing a product and calculating... !!! Hours!!! To build my 3D model is so much easier than to calculate the prices ;-)

Does someone have a comment?

PS: Attached a little example how I could imagine the UI when calculating ;-)

Attached Files:

2. rowsdower
    rowsdower Member
    My use case never bumps up against this wall, so I can't comment on if there is any built-in way to do that. I am not aware of one but since I only price by material once per material I have never looked all that hard for an alternative to just doing it a line at a time. With that said, if there is no existing solution and if you're handy with javascript you could write a greasemonkey (it's a browser add-on, if you're not familiar with it by name) script to do this on an automated basis for you. You would still need to open up your products and run the changes and save the product any time there is a price change, but at least you'd save yourself the 221 calculations and manual entries on each product.

3. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    They hinted at adding this kind of on-site feature earlier in the year but I doubt they will implement anything soon. It's been a problem for years. The official recommendation is to utilize the CSV file to semi-automate setting mark-ups if a roundabout method is to your liking.

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I've argued for this feature for 9 years now. I'll keep bringing it up.
    The last extended conversation I had about it ended in some mysterious reason about VAT and other currencies.
    The best choice for now is the CSV, unless you wish to learn some programming and do it thru the API.