AutoCAD2009 issue

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by grizgrin, Sep 27, 2010.

1. grizgrin
    grizgrin New Member
    Howdy. I'm trying to export a ring I designed for my girlfriend to STL. It has 2 parts, the ring body and then a small hoop that passes through a turnbuckle. The parts are independent, and the whole point was to have it produced with them joined. However, STL export in ACAD 2009 is telling me I can only export 1 item, not multiple items. Do I need to draw a sprue onto them conjoining them? Would it be best if I just used a line to do so, or make it smaller than the tolerances of the material I intend to print in since I am going to be removing it anyway? Thanks.

2. If you use a line to join them, Shapeways will likely reject it as a wall thickness issue or a manifold error.

Most 3d applications allow you to join multiple meshes into a single object. Unfortunately, I don't use autoCAD, but I'm sure some other friendly person around here does, and will be able to help. :)

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    I haven't used AutoCAD in a few years now, but I'm pretty sure it has a Boolean Union command. Our some sort of Join command. Try using that to convince AutoCAD that it's one item. If not, save as a dwg, open in Blender, and export as STL.

4. baltimore
    baltimore New Member
    yep, just use union!