Autocad Files Not Compatible

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by coccodens, Jan 12, 2018.

1. coccodens
    coccodens Member
    Will be any chance that Autocad3D files will be supported by Shapeways? I can't find any software to convert .dwg files into .obj files...

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    DWG files are very often only two dimensions. If you're using Autocad itself, then you could export the file as a DXF and use Blender to convert it to an OBJ

3. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I don't know what version of Autocad you're using but here's how to save as an STL in Autocad 2015.

4. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    If you have files, but not the AutoCAD software, try asking on the "3D Design Requests" forum for somebody who can take the files and transfer them for you.

coccodens likes this.
  5. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    There's a few things you should know before you export. It will give you a smoother model instead of it being faceted. Just type these on the command line.

facetres 10
    isolines 0
    dispsilh 1

The STL file format is preferred by 3D printing service providers. If you have prepared your drawing for 3D printing, you can save it with the STLOUT command, rather than the 3DPRINT command.

The FACETRES system variable determines how the solid is triangulated. Setting FACETRES to a higher value creates a finer mesh that more accurately represents the model. This also results in a much larger file. When you use the 3DPRINT command, the FACETRES system variable is set to 10, the highest value available.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. coccodens
    coccodens Member
    I'm not a professional user.. i'm using the student version of autocad and exporting is very limited..

7. coccodens
    coccodens Member
    I can't find the DXF option in the student version of autocad and i can't find it in the list of the importable files in Blender..

8. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    Then you need to update your CAD to professional version for professional use.

9. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    In that case what you can do is get Fusion 360, which is free. It says free trial, but Fusion 360 is actually free if you're using it in a commercial way to make less than 100k per year. Then you can upload your DWG files into Fusion 360 and export them in OBJ or STL format, as explained here.

By the way, depending on your student credentials you may qualify as a student with Autodesk. Once you qualify you can use the full version of most of Autodesk's products for 3 years for non-commercial learning purposes. You can learn more about that here.