Assembly STL Files in SolidWorks 2010

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by pirsquared, Mar 26, 2010.

1. pirsquared
    pirsquared New Member
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to upload an assembly of parts to Shapeways, but when I save the assembly as an STL file, SolidWorks splits the assembly into individual components and saves each as its own STL file.

Could someone please explain how to upload an assembly to Shapeways from SolidWorks?

Thanks.

-Eitan

2. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 New Member
    I dont have SolidWorks, but I use Solid Edge (almost the same thing) and when you save an assembly as an STL or JT, you need to Save>options>single file> then save the file.

Something to watch out for: in SolidEdge, if i save an assembly with parts that are colliding, it saves the STL with the overlapping mesh, which can NOT be printed. so try to make sure that your parts are assembled realistically.

eh, hope that makes sense.

Good luck!

Check out my shop @ http://www.shapeways.com/shops/excitementproductions

3. pirsquared
    pirsquared New Member
    It worked! Thank you!

-Eitan

4. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 New Member
    No problem.

I wish I had a copy of SolidWorks, i liked it a lot better than SolidEdge...

But my student copy wont work on Windows 7, so I guess Im out of luck for now.

Good luck!

Check out my shop @ http://www.shapeways.com/shops/excitementproductions

5. craniumtrain
    craniumtrain New Member
    I am using solidworks 2004. I am unable to find the option to save an STL as a single file. Also unable to save assembly as a part without it loosing the solid info and turning into a collection of surfaces

6. pirsquared
    pirsquared New Member
    You might want to get a new version of SolidWorks. How are you still using 2004? I'm on 2012.

-Eitan

7. GWMT
    GWMT New Member
    Do a "Save As" for your assembly file and pick 'Part' (.sldprt) from the "Save As Type" menu. This saves your assembly as one single part. Open up this part file and save it as a .STL - you should get a single STL file that way.

I merge all the individual pieces into one solid part before creating the STL file with the "Combine" command (under Insert-Features-Combine in the top menu); I think Shapeways' software will merge multiple STL bodies into one body when you upload it, but why take chances?

8. pirsquared
    pirsquared New Member
    But if you merge the parts into a single body using a Combine feature, then you will no longer have an assembly of STL files. You will have one part.

I think this question was answered in the second post (more than 2 and a half years ago!). Let's not belabor the point.

-Eitan