Articulated Predominant Isopod A Ball-jointed Kit

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by ammonite5665, Oct 19, 2018.

1. ammonite5665
    ammonite5665 Member
    Hello, everyone. Thank you all for checking out the Articulated Predominant Isopod A Ball-Jointed Kit.

I would like Shapeways for all their help, for their awesome service and print tolerance tools made this project and many other projects come to fruition.

Also, I would like to thank my family for their suggestions and compliments on this project.

And I would like to thank the viewers of this thread again.

For many ages, I've thought of designing and tired to design an articulated figure with articulation comparable to most common action figures and ball jointed dolls. I've had some success with simple jointed creations in the past. However, not only did I want to create a figure with multiple points of articulation, I wanted to create a model that was organic and natural looking in design, and that it could 3D printed and assembled with individual ball-joints.

I thought the sooner I start, the sooner that creation could be a physical reality. I had a particular morphology I wanted base my design upon in mind.

I wanted to model an arthropod, for that particular group of species were one of the most intriguing. ranging from ancient trilobites, to modern day woodlice, scorpions and tarantulas.

I began sculpting my creation Sculptris, and soon, I made something that had the likeliness of a Giant Isopod, and a crab. So, then I exported the model, and moved on to phase 2. The joint factor. I gathered as much ball joint reference as I can compute. On screen, I had links to designing 3D printable articulated models, next to images of action figure ball-joints, next to the jointed limbs of Lego ball jointed figures on the table; Technic style Bionicle and Hero factory parts beside a Dino Attack raptor body with a leg attached to one of its sockets.

Anyway, I imported the model into blender in hopes of separating the isopod into individual parts. However, I realized that, their were quite a few too many triangles on my model to work with using the select tool.

So, I thought of a another approach, and I went to Meshmixer to separate the parts I wanted to individualize from the isopod.

Soon, I had about 18 isopod pieces, so I went back to blender, and created the ball socket joints. Then, I imported the ball-socket joints into Meshmaker, Boolean operations were performed, and the separate parts were united with joints, and sockets, thus creating new parts. The new parts left Meshmixer, and went through several phases, until they went back and lived in Blender for a while where special support beams were added to them to ensure their survival into the physical world. The beams/sprues also turned the parts into one single part, which makes printing and assembly easier.

Without the sprues, it would of been a bit challenging figuring out the correct placement of the 16 limbs into their corresponding sockets, once printed.

Anyway, some more modifications were performed on the isopod, and soon, the isopod was print ready. Later, the digital isopod, along with a friend, had their souls transferred into physical bodies, thanks to the brilliance of brilliant people and machines working symbiotically, to produce something that was once only tangible in the still 3D yet 2D and digital realm, tangible in the physical 3D realm. Then, faster than something fast, the isopod and its company arrived at my residence. The isopod, and its friend, stayed dormant for a while, a kinda long while, until the Thursday of October 18th, 2018, this is when their dormancy came to an end, and light shed upon them like light shedding upon a newly sprouted seedling.

This was their day, their day to shine. After being released, the isopod and the isopod's friend, where then inspected, and documented.

The isopod and its friend printed out phenomenally. Although, I think I the isopod's friend would need a few more modifications before going public, but overall the quality of the isopod, and its friend are incredible.

Thank you very much Shapeways for the wonderful support and service, thank you all so very much for helping me get the prints fulfilled.

Also, a thunderous thank's again to the readers of this thread.

Now for the reveal of the isopd.

Inspired by the beautiful Giant isopod, the Articulated Predominant Isopod is a fun and easy to build kit which features 18 individual parts, attached to easy to remove sprues.

isp17-1.jpg

Articulated Predominant Isopod A Ball-Jointed Kit Product Link: http://shpws.me/QMTS

isp01.jpg

isp02.jpg

The isopod kit features articulation articulation in the limbs at three ball-joint points; the body socket, knee/elbow, and lower limb/foot/claw. The limbs rotate in a similar fashion to ball-jointed action figures, and ball-jointed dolls.

instructions.jpg

IsopodGifBuild.gif

isp3.jpg

The head also features ball-joint articulation, in which the head can rotate in a circular motion, similar to how a door knob rotates.

isp1.jpg

The sprues were easily removed with a small pair of standard scissors. I found that removing and assembling the parts one at a time or in groups made the assembly of the isopod easier. Also, the joints would be a bit tough to fit into the sockets at first, so it would be best to slowly insert the ball joint into the socket while moving it around in a circular and/or up and down motion, this would fit the joints together snug and allow easier movability.

isp19-6.jpg

The flexible ball-jointed limbs of the isopod, gives the isopod the ability to perform a variety of posses, and the ability to hold items such as SD Cards, Coins, and Pens.

isoportfo.png

Please Note that the right arm was a bit loose on this model after some pose positions, however this might just be a fluke or too much joint movement on the joint, and/or the joint going beyond the socket's joint rotation allowance, as most of the other joints seemed a bit more secure.

Nevertheless, any loose joints which happen to fall out are a natural occurrence and can be easily be snapped back into place. In fact, I found that the joints become easier to move around the more they are removed and moved around, however, it may be a good idea to limit too much rapid rotation, removing and re-joining of the joints as they may become quite loose at the socket overtime.

Also, please note that I have increased the contrast and auto-adjusted most of the photos to show the details of the isopod better.

Thank you all very much for taking a look at the Articulated Predominant Isopod A Ball-Jointed Kit.

And thank you all very who have participated in this project, and the project that's still a bit secret.

Have an Awesome week.

IsopodGifFaster.gif