Api Users...unite! (2017)

Discussion in 'Shapeways API' started by imdaveho, Jan 20, 2017.

1. imdaveho
    imdaveho Shapeways Employee Product Team
    Hey everyone! Happy New Year's!.....(just 20 days later....)

I wanted to get everyone on a single thread, to get a sense of all the API partners we have. We will also be taking a look in our database to find those that may not be as active in the forums as you all are.

What are we trying to achieve?
    For years now, we have promised integration with our wonderful Shapeways service that exists on our site...and for some time, you have all been extremely patient with us. As the dedicated Product Manager for API, I want to reiterate our commitment to our partners. We understand that the world and technology is moving to a multi-platform world and we need to be there!

2017 is going to represent a revival for API (if I can accomplish what I have planned). A big part of what I have planned is A LOT more engagement with y'all. Some of you I have worked with during the Facets project, so I hope that plenty know my commitment for user feedback and quick adoption of your suggestions and ideas.

IN short, what we want to achieve is a deep understanding of our customers' needs so we can build our integrations in the best possible way.

OK, you had me at API....what's next?
    1. Please just introduce yourself in this thread
    2. Describe your current use case with the API
    3. Elaborate at 0-3 things you would hope to use the API for in addition to what your current use
    4. Promote this in other channels and threads if you recognize another API user
    I will be also sending a survey in the coming weeks that will ask a bit more structured questions to build a good picture of our current customer mix and needs.

Furthermore, I really hope to start a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly engagements with each of you individually or corporately to update you on progress, hear about your experience and stories, and share with you cool insider knowledge of the developments here at Shapeways. I don't yet know what that would look like, but I hope it will be helpful to all customers from beginner to advanced levels of technical proficiency.

Cheers!

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    My current focus is on retrieving information for analytics. I fully recognize that others want PUT options to be able to manage their shop.. I'll submint my PUT wishlist into a separate posting. <grin>
    1) GET /models/
    a. Should return all of the models, even if used on variants (not throw an error)
    b. Should return all combinations of SPIN+ModelId
    c. Should return both the SPIN and ModelId as separate columns​
    2) GET /model/nnnnnnn/
    a. Should return the Facets for the model
    b. Should return the Dimensions for the model
    c. Should return the Material Volume, Machine Space, Surface Area for the model
    d. Should return the date the source file was uploaded​
    3) GET /orders
    a. It’d be great if this was equivalent to the Sales Overview CSV – including API orders, website orders, and self orders.​
    4) Overall: for large shops, increase the throttling limit to 1000 instead of only 150

1a-1c above are urgent in my opinion. The others I can (will) be patient to see.

3. alephba
    alephba New Member
    Hi,
    I think getting the order API up and running should be a priority. So far I haven't been granted access to the beta version, so hopefully that will change as well.
    My goal is to integrate the shapeways order API on my own website and have the users checkout with shapeways on my website.
    Furthermore, I think the order API should follow a completely different process. For instance, I don't think the whole OAuth process is necessary for the order API. My understanding is that shapeways allows users to checkout as guest, so similar option should be available to users through the API.
    Thanks,
    -Morteza

4. Carlos2k10
    Carlos2k10 Active Member
    Hi Dave,

My wishlist here:
    GET /model/modelID/pictures to return a listing of all images (with their photoIDs) associated to a particular model
    GET/PUT/DELETE operations on individual images (to upgrade images, captions...ect)
    PUT /model/modelID/info to overwrite tag list in order to be able to add/remove tags via the API OR
    some delete method to remove tags

Regards

5. stonysmith
    You can replace tags now. It works fine.

payload = {"tags":"a,b,c"}
    PUT /models/######/info/v1 payload

6. robs_mw
    robs_mw Well-Known Member
    Hi,
    I use it (sometimes) to get an overview of the descriptions and tags.
    So GET those, and also PUT to modify them
    I'm not sure if this works now for tags?

Furthermore, please include GET/POST of the model facets !
    And I think the website includes quite a few new features now a days,
    which are not supported by the API; you might want to review that.

Thanks,
    Robert

7. imdaveho
    Hi all,

Just wanted to give you a quick update on progress on API thus far. From our preliminary responses here and talking to other partners, we realized that getting up and running is a top priority. This is why in the coming weeks we're going to revamp our documentation and implement OAuth 2.0 which will allow for more integration options (not to mention more modern software libraries on github) for our API.

This is just the start. We hope to re-engage with you all by sharing our roadmap as transparently as possible and create more avenues where we can discuss and support your API issues. I know I promised a survey and more monthly engagements, however, in order to make most of these things, planning is involved! You'll start hearing more about that once the above projects are released.

@stonysmith @Carlos2k10 for you guys, shop management tools are in the horizon for Q2/3. Part of that reason is the separation of the concept of "model" vs "product" is something we're trying to define more clearly on our front-end web service--following those interactions, you'll see us promote things like a "/product" endpoint. Just know that it's in the works...we can discuss this more in depth individually, if you'd like.

@alephba the reason we can't allow this is for the fact certain application providers place orders on behalf of other users. This requires proper authorization from a client to a user. Now, the OAuth2.0 project seeks to improve on this behavior by providing an easier way to authenticate your orders on behalf of yourself without the extraneous steps you described. More details to follow.

As always, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I know it might not get back to you as quickly as I'd like at the moment, but I'll be working on getting responses at least within 24 hrs. Cheers!

8. robs_mw
    robs_mw Well-Known Member
    Also good to be able to retrieve are the model details like :
    size
    part count
    material volume
    machine space
    surface area
    original bounds
    oriented bounds
    density
    furthermore maybe the file upload history

it would also be great if the 'display order' of the model in the shop could be retrieved (+ be set (post) would be even better, as the shop inventory display order 'tool' is a bit of a hassle to put it nicely)

BR,
    Robert

9. stonysmith
    +1000 for upload history!!!

Something I thought of this morning.. it'd be super helpful to be able to pull the 3dTools results (just "pass"/"fail") for each material on a model. Someone asked me for a BHDA version of a model.. I'd like to review across the entire shop (650+ items) which models had warnings in BHDA.

10. imdaveho
    Hey all,

Love all the suggestions! Just to give a quick update on our progress--we've been focused on firstly, making it a LOT easier to just get authorized and play around with the Shapeways API. To that end, we've been beta testing OAuth2.0.

For those who don't know, OAuth2.0 makes it 1000x easier to get up and running with our API, and with all the issues arising with "{failed: authentication error}" with the current OAuth1.0a...this will be a welcome addition. If you'd like to participate with the beta, please sign up here: https://docs.google.com/a/shapeways..._KVA_qBr7sBhC7ZkTKnjLIZKAOE1m2foZNLQ/viewform

From then on, we're going to focus more on providing the feature set you've been sharing. I'd like to understand relative priority, so if any of you are interested in a group Google Hangout, I'd like to get us all in a room and discussing which of these things would result in the biggest impact for you. Please PM me interest and I'll set it up in the next few weeks :)

11. imdaveho
    Hey all,

Forgot to mention this. But now /models will return all models regardless if they are variant or not. However, /models/{modelId} and /models/{modelId}/info of varianted models will still fail (due to our lacking a /products endpoint)

I do hope to push a /products endpoint this year; I would love to get in touch with all of you to introduce myself and to hear your feedback and needs.

Essentially, we all need to work together to push these capabilities and raise the bar when it comes to unfiltered access and control over what we provide as an org--the ability to give shape to your ideas :D

12. Dream3d
    Dream3d Member
    Hi everyone,

My goal is same as alephba's and i beleive same as many others asking the same thing over and over across the community. I'd like to integrate shapeways order API on my website and have the users either check out with shapeways on my website or have them check out on my e-commerce platform and have the shapeways orders fulfilled with store credits. What this would allow us is to target a specific group with specific sensibility, market our products properly and get more sales.

I am a modeler not a developer, and i do have some basic html/css/php knowledge and if anyone came to solution for what i need, please do share. I understand that we are far from a shopify or woocommerce plugins at this point, but any sort of a step-by-step working method will do.

Thanks in advance,

Dejan Kopanja