Anybody use gmax?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by maketshi, Oct 8, 2011.

1. maketshi
    maketshi New Member
    It seems like a decent modeling program, and it's free, but I haven't seen many other people working with it.

I can get .STL files by exporting .MD3, converting to .obj in lithunwrap, and cleaning up and exporting to .STL in Meshlab.

Problem is, I want to hollow out my models, and the tutorial I tried for hollowing out models with meshlab didn't produce a useable mesh when I tried to boolean subtract a hole in gmax.

in netfabb, the boolean results look good, but netfabb basic doesn't let me finalize the boolean operation, it just shows it to me, and like I said, it looks like what I want.

Gmax seems to see the inner surface as flipped.

This is the tutorial I followed:

https://sites.google.com/site/3dprintfaq/workflows/hollowing -a-model

2. B1lancer
    B1lancer New Member

I think there is greater support for Blender in 3D Printing applications, it is also a free program. May be worth giving that a go?

Kindest Regards,

Jack

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    No experience with gmax, but you can now upload obj straight to shapeways. Do you have geometry connecting the outside geometry to the internal geometry? Shapeways software will automatically remove internal geometry that is not connected to the external geometry.

4. maketshi
    maketshi New Member
    I figured out how my inner surface was getting flipped. I had not unchecked "Unify Normals" in the Import DXF dialog box when I was importing into gmax.

I tried several methods to generate geometry to connect the inside and outside surfaces, with no luck. Eventually, I just tried using a Boolean Union between the hole in the object and a torus.

But when I uploaded it to shapeways, the error checking algorithm filled it in solid again.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Does it have a boolean subtract function? then you just draw a cylinder connecting them and subtract it from the geometry. It's difficult to advise not knowing the software.

6. maketshi
    maketshi New Member
    It does have boolean subtraction, but for some reason it doesn't leave behind any geometry connecting the surfaces.

It does when I use boolean subtraction on two simple primitives, just not when I subtract a primitive from my model.

I tried doing the boolean subtraction in Blender, but it crashed. I'm getting a new video card to replace my on-board video soon. Hopefully then I will be able to use Blender.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. Freakazoitt
    Freakazoitt Well-Known Member
    I have questions:

1) How to open max files in gmax?
    2) How to save models as .obj ?
    3) Is there better booleans for gmax than builded-in boolean? It makes wrong faces sometimes after substractions