Any ZBrush users out there ?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by Tballew, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Tballew
    Tballew New Member
    Hi ... am a newbie on ZBrush but have sculpted some small jewelry pieces to try out the printing. Cannot find out how to set mesh thickness in ZBrush. Help?
    Tom :confused

2. Vargulf
    Vargulf New Member
    I may be completely off but I just use the 3dprint exporter plugin that comes with Zbrush.

3. rubyscooby
    rubyscooby New Member
    Hi I am starting to print with Zbrush too. I had some problems with wall thickness and could not print in metal only black detail. If you use dynamesh there is an option to make hollow by inserting a mesh. Google dynamesh to find out. Otherwise if it's a flat piece you could build the base in another program and import it in.

Good Luck

Ruby

4. Tballew
    Tballew New Member
    Thanks Vargulf, for the 3D Exporter info. I had been spending a lot of time on netfabb, but the Exporter seems to handle everything !

I measure the parts of my items with a scale (ruler) held up to my screen. Do you have any suggestions regarding this ?

i am doing my work on an iMac-leopard OS X.

Finally figured out that the "create shell > thickness " slider in Dynamesh represents mm of shell thickness..

5. Vargulf
    Vargulf New Member
    I was wondering the same thing until a few days ago. I wasn't in any rush for exact measurements as I haven't made anything where it is dire, such as rings.

I saw someone was making rings so I asked. He uses Meshlab which has a measurement tool.

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

It is free which is always a plus and I was able to load the 3d exported STL just fine and make any measurement I needed.

Hope that helps.

Edit: missed that you have a mac. I checked. Meshlab does indeed work on a mac as well.

Happy measuring!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    [quote title=Tballew wrote on Sun, 29 April 2012 19:41
    I measure the parts of my items with a scale (ruler) held up to my screen. Do you have any suggestions regarding this ?

Finally figured out that the "create shell > thickness " slider in Dynamesh represents mm of shell thickness.. [/quote]

ZBrush doesn't have native measurements as such. I use 3D Print Exporter and will adjust the "size" of the model using the "mm" button and "Update Size Ratios" before exporting. Then I import the OBJ file into another programme (Rhino) to make it the exact size I need.

And I don't believe the thickness slider actually measures in mm but rather a ratio of the model size itself. Now, if you've managed to figure out the exact size to export at I suppose it would be possible that the slider could, then, represent mm.

Glenn

7. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns New Member
    Yeah, I use Zbrush 4R2 and I ran into this issue too. What I do now is I export my model as a .OBJ and measure with Rhino. Those two are the best combination for me.