A Little Design Help Please?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by ldemrys, Dec 30, 2018.

1. ldemrys
    ldemrys Well-Known Member
    If you keep up with these forums, you know I'm trying to solve a problem. I need to know if support pillars would prevent sagging for my model. Here is the link to my first post on this issue:

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/q...ility-ofbronze-infused-stainless-steel.98543/

As stated, I more or less fixed the problem. But I'd like to try a "Ver.2.0".
    I've gone back and re-designed the whole thing with an eye to making it customizable, therefore the face is blank and it would probably print that way with no problem.

This is a screen grab from the "print preview" option in Solidworks...

belt_loop_002_000.jpg

I've got the transparency set at about 50 percent and you can see what I'm talking about. Once a pattern of some kind has been added, it's going to add to the weight of the face and therefore increasing the possibility of sagging.
    The "pillars" are 0.0625" in diameter and I should be able to cut them out with a jewelers saw or small hacksaw, then file it smooth. This should solve my original problem.

However...

As I said. I'd like to make it customizable and I can't expect a prospective customer to put that much work into this. What if I specified the print axis? Would a different axis solve the potential problem? Or am I just gonna have to take the chance that I'm just pissing in the wind?

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated...

2. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    We talked about these issues already,- you asked me about solutions for my model.
    My problem was:
    The pictures I've shown before, was sent to me from a disappointed customer... that's a real problem....

Now,- my only theoretical solution/idea would be, to use "tapered sprues".
    The ends are tapered to create a predetermined breaking point.
    So that no remaining edges disturb, this is set into a light recess.
    Thus one would only need to knock these parts out and would not have to saw.
    Everything at the limit of the minimum required wall thickness

Cross section view:
    upload_2018-12-31_3-15-30.png

3. ldemrys
    What a wonderful idea!. So according to the material specs for steel, the attaching point of the sprue would have a minimum diameter of 0.8mm
    Correct?
    As for putting them in a pocket. I would have never thought of that. Thanks!

4. ldemrys
    This is what I came up with...And thanks for the cross-section view, by the way. I'd forgotten about that one...

belt_loop_002_000_cutaway.jpg

5. ldemrys
    Your welcome. That's what these forums are for...