3dsmax Plugin

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by LKmedia, Mar 2, 2010.

1. LKmedia
    LKmedia New Member
    Hi.
    I am looking for a certain max plugin which helps you with manifold checking and other stuff. There was a link here somewhere on this site but I cannot find it back. So for future searches I hope this thread will be found with the plugin mentioned below. Thanks in advance.

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
  3. LKmedia
    LKmedia New Member
    Thank you very much. This is the one I was looking for.

Yes, the manifold check is weak in speed but you usually just need to check the lowpoly beginning mesh. The resulting object should stay being a manifold if not heavily altered (deleting polies, sewing edges,etc.).

Thanks again.

4. Sol3
    Sol3 Member
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but Max has a modifier called STL Check, which will tell you of any holes or errors in your objects.

Go to the Modify tab and scroll down the modifiers list to find it.

5. WelshDesigns
    WelshDesigns New Member
    Yeah, I use STL check all the time, and have never had issues as long as I fix anything it shows me. It doesn't list "manifold" (in my Max version anyway) but if you select all errors, it's obvious what to fix afterwards. I've written a small script that does a weld verts, and STL check all in one, and I use it all the time, works great.

6. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Yeah the STL check is quite a good error check, I use it often myself.

I don't remember, but there were a few situations where it gave a "no errors" message, but shapeways didn't accept them.
    So I built that brute force version into the script.

But it's mains purpose was of course the volume and pricing stuff.

7. Sol3
    Sol3 Member
    Yes, I'm sorry, I forgot that your plugin had other functions specific to Shapeways. :blush: