3d Printing Of Porous And Thin Objects

Discussion in 'Materials' started by code_blue, Dec 6, 2017.

1. code_blue
    code_blue Member
    Hi all,

I'm attempting to print my skull from a CT scan. I'm looking for the best material to print this in but had a couple of questions.

I don't think the mandible is going to be an issue, but the maxilla might pose some problems. My model stops around the orbit, so you can look "into" the skull. There are a lot of fine and brittle bones in there, with a lot of porosities, especially around the sinus and hard palate.

I was wondering if there are certain materials better suited to handling these sort of details?

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    If it is to scale I imagine the price will may decide the material. FUD has a nice resolution, is somewhat brittle and would probably run north of $500 at 1:1 scale. Laser sintered plastic is several steps down in surface quality but is durable and would probably be closer to $300. I do not usually consider FDM, have never ordered anything in it but it is both cost effective and durable while the surface is not smooth it can be sanded etc, prolly $180-ish. All prices are wild estimates but should give you some idea of cost. Obviously you can upload and check them yourself and I suggest just that if you have worked out how to make it 3D printable. Sounds like a job for ZBrush but I can't imagine what 3D model format you are dealing with. -S
  3. hello all,
    what is the minimum diameter that can be given for a circle to print thin miniature of a lamp post or a pole in 3d printing? can someone drop me an idea?