3d Print Radiation Pattern

Discussion in 'Materials' started by stevenli, Aug 16, 2017.

1. stevenli
    stevenli Member
    How to export 3D model (wrl format) for radiation pattern within range? Every time when I export wrl format and import in solidworks, it shows exceed range limit error.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Which software creates the radiation pattern, and why do you import the resulting wrl into solidworks ? Not many people here will be familiar with your field or your workflow so it may help to explain a bit more.
    Have you tried uploading it here, or could you try viewing it in a vrml/x3d viewer such as view3dscene ? The problem could be simply a matter of overall scale, or there could be something fundamentally wrong with the wrl. Best try with a very simple pattern first, perhaps a synthetic shape (to exclude spikes in your data) if your software allows that.

3. stevenli
    stevenli Member
    Thank you for replying. HFSS is the software creates radiation pattern. I want to transfer into 3D solid model, so I import into solidworks. Yes, I tried to upload here. Although it successfully uploaded, but the color are gone.

4. mkroeker
    There are two different ways to provide color information in wrl format - either as "vertex colors" specified directly per mesh point or geometry primitive within the wrl file, or by reference to an external texture file that is "UV mapped" onto the geometry. In the latter case, you need to make sure that the name of the image file given inside the wrl does not contain any local path information or drive letters that makes it specific to your computer, and you need to combine the wrl and the image in a zip file for uploading.

5. stevenli
    stevenli Member
    yea that's where I can't figure out... I have wrl file so far. when I import to solidwork, it has color and even when I upload to the web, it can see the color as well when I change the orientation. But it doesn't have color when I try to see texture with full color sandstone. Not sure how to generate the color info in solidwork...

6. mkroeker
    I can ask around at work tomorrow, but solidworks may simply not be the right tool for the job. If you can upload a small sample wrl here that shows the problem (or send it by private message - the envelope symbol at the top of the page) I can take a look.

7. stevenli
    stevenli Member
    Sent. Thanks a lot.

8. mkroeker
    At first glance all the "interesting" objects in your file (those that are not plain grey members of the bottom grid) are fully transparent (which shapeways' viewer honors although the printer obviously cannot) - actually they have "transparency" set to an absurdly high value in the 1e30 range (possibly an uninitialiized variable in the program that generated the file). This may be what causes the "range exceeded" message in SWX as transparency runs from 0 to 1 normally.

9. stevenli
    stevenli Member
    Any way I can fix it?

10. mkroeker
    Fixed file sent. As wrl is plaintext, you can use the search-and-replace function of your favorite text editor if you cannot educate the software that writes these files.

11. stevenli
    stevenli Member
    Got it! Thanks a lot!