3d Material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by meghanFrederick, Jan 9, 2018.

1. I am making a filter system out of 3D printed pieces, I have been looking for a long time. The material has to be flexible, water and chemical resistant, and durable. I was looking at nylon, and PETG. I know that ABS won't work but I was hoping to receive some input on what material I should use. Thank you.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Because of the process involved, Shapeways nylon is very porous. Those pores are going to collect sediment and or bacteria. Take a look....

Does this filter also need to be food-safe? None of the Shapeways materials will qualify.

3. It has to be able to filter out salt water out of the dish.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
  4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Are you thinking of building some kind of reverse osmosis filter? What will the filtered salt water be used for?

5. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    For daily use I think.Sounds like meghan is finding a solution for freshwater shortage.

6. Echoco
    Echoco Well-Known Member
    I don't think WSF will filter out the minerals in salt water, that's molecular level.

7. I just need it to hold salt water

8. Echoco
    Echoco Well-Known Member
    "flexible, water and chemical resistant, and durable."

I can't think of any material that meets all of these. Your best bet might be to find a container that meet these requirements and design the parts to fit inside it.

9. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Why not purchase a cheap silicone water bottle and use that? There might be some large enough to suit your needs and it might be easier to design a custom cap or attachment that does what you need it to do.

10. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    How flexible do you need it to be? When you say flexible, do mean something like a flexible hose?

Are you making a custom one-off or prototype or will this ultimately be something that will be manufactured?

Will the salt water come into contact with anything living at all, like a saltwater fish tank for example?

What's got you thinking about 3D printing the parts? Do they need to be 3D printed because of geometry limitations or is it more like you would like to take advantage of the convenience of 3D printing?