3-D obsessions

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by tones3d, Apr 7, 2010.

1. tones3d
    tones3d New Member
    My Twin Wide Angle Lens Adapter arrived ... just in time for my walking trip in the Fiordlands National Park in New Zealand:
    Here it is, with machined brass thread inserts fitted.

Here the lenses have been screwed in.

Here, fitted up to the Twin Rig ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/72937/baseplate_for_stereo_3_ d_twin_rig_camera.html) and ready.

Here, with the twin lens cover ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/93536/twin_wide_angle_lens_ca p.html).

Here, with the win back-cap fitted ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/72950/twin_rear_lens_cover.ht ml), for dust-free storage when not in use.
  2. aeron203
    aeron203 New Member
    Impressive work getting all these parts to fit together so precisely. Especially the inserts. The brass is held in with adhesive? I have been considering what approach to take for bonding like that, and I've been thinking mostly hot-pressed and/or barbed inserts, which would work for screw bosses but not on something like this. After your trip I'm sure you'll have a wealth of knowledge about how 3D prints function in the field. Please share!

I'm also thinking you may miss some good shots if you have to assemble the rig each time you use it. A frame would give it support and a regular shape that you could put in a bag.

One of the most jaw-dropping camera rigs I've seen is the Red One. Man, I want one of these.

If you took that sort of approach and used metal for the structural elements and SLS for the joinery, this thing would be rock solid enough to carry assembled.
  3. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Great job fitting together the metal and plastic. It looks very professional with the dust covers and all.

Keep those cameras dry in Fjordlands! I was there many years ago ...
  4. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Impressive engineering ! Good stuff ! :)
  5. tones3d
    tones3d New Member
    Thanks for the positive feedback, people.

I machined the inserts after the print arrived, so that I could measure what I had, very carefully. They're a slight interference fit, shallow-grooved on the outside diameter, and then glued in with loctite 680 (the strongest variety I have)

I do not need to assemble it each time, it is quite strong enough to carry assembled. With appropriate design, and printed thickly enough, the WS&F is surprisingly rigid, and the cross-piece on the adapter strengthens the assembly even more.

Also, I have about 20 years' experience in 3-D photography, so I know where I am headed with this project.

I'll post a link when I've had the time to publish some photos. (most of my photos are transparencies, which I show using a stereo projector, and the more recent digital pairs are also projected using a double-head video adapter driving two projectors; both systems utilize polarizing filters for left-right discrimination)

The Belt:

Opened, ready to remove camera:

Ready to shoot:

6. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
    wow , Impressive !

Glad to see i'm not the only one designing real products using 3D printing ! :D

Is there a link to see some of 3D pics you took with those cameras?
    Do we need an active-shutter 3d glasses to view them?

7. maartje
    maartje New Member
    Great, I'm also very interested in the pictures U made with it!
  8. aeron203
    aeron203 New Member
    Fits like a glove. Clearly that experience is a rich resource for you, and for us by extension. I'll try not to irritate you with too many questions, since my machine shop time would be measured in hours. :blush:

I'm also looking forward to seeing some 3D photos!
  9. tones3d
    tones3d New Member
    Please ask!! If I can share any experience and/or thoughts, I'm always delighted.
  10. tones3d
    tones3d New Member
  11. 4m3D
    4m3D New Member
    Nice!!! Crazy project. This sort of stuff makes my head spin!

Todd Bailey
    Owner and Creative Designer
    4m3D Creative Design
    Skype Me!! - todd.4m3d
    twitter - www.twitter.com/4m3D or @4m3D
    Facebook Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fredericton-NB/4m3D/1706911563 28?ref=nf

Please consider our environment before printing this email.