2 types of material in the same object?

Discussion in 'Technologies and Hardware' started by synthercat, Oct 2, 2010.

1. synthercat
    synthercat New Member
    Since I am new here... can we have 2 types of material in the same object? have like a metal cube with holes files with white transparent for example or should I order them as 2 different items but model a cube with a hole/opening/somthing so I should place the transparent in the cube myself?

Thank you

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Each different material has to be a different object/order as the different materials are printed by different methods.

You can find out more about the processes involved by looking at each different material from the Materials Page... iirc most (if not all) of the material pages have videos showing what happens.

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I am quite sure I read somewhere that the detail materials (transparent detail, white detail and black detail) could be mixed into a single printed model, but i cannot find where... :(

4. chris89
    chris89 New Member
    it's on the objet website (which makes the printers).
    It is possible, but i'm not sure how to set it. It would probably cost shapeways too much effort/time to manually select which parts of the meshes should be which material.

5. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Yes, the main issue is certainly to specify into the 3D file which material to use or more exactly which proportion of each materials to use on each volume cell (voxel). The textures allow you to do so on the surface of the volume, and you could interpolate from the starting point to the ending point, but I guess the result would be different depending on the printing direction.