How Do I Know That The Pendant Will Hang Straight

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 2416410_deleted, May 20, 2019.

1. Hi!
    I have a problem cause I made a pendant and I want it to hang straight but I dont know if the weight will spilt equally how can I be sure it will?

2. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    You will get better at knowing over time. But one trick is to go into your modeling software, make two additional copies of your pendant. Center the midpoint of the bail on the Y axis (x=0) in both new models. Create a new cube that is larger than one half of the pendant and completely cover one half of the pendant. Use a boolean join to differ the pendant from the half-covering cube. So now you have a half-pendant split on half the bail. Repeat exactly on the other half model. Load both half-pendants into your models in shapeways. Check the cubic centimeters of each. if they are exactly the same, the pendant should hang straight. If not, adjust a new copy of the full model, split again, etc. until the cubic centimeters mass is the same in both halves.

3. ZapWizard
    ZapWizard Well-Known Member
    Meshmixer can show you the center of gravity.

[​IMG]

4. Luxxeon3D
    Luxxeon3D Well-Known Member
    The Meshmixer stability tool is excellent. It takes into account the volume and surface area of an object, but keep in mind certain materials will have a differing weight per volume. For example, metal vs plastics vs ceramics.