New Upload Feature Issues

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Mechanoid, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mechanoid
    Mechanoid Well-Known Member
    This new upload feature doesn't appear very well. Uploaded a new model. Can't findout if it passed the checks, can't find the area to make the model public or for sale. How am I suppose to create models for the shop, if I can't sell them?

Am I suppose to have a Google Smart phone to be able to navigate Shapeways now? Or am I missing something?

2. Spitfire2865
    Spitfire2865 Well-Known Member
    They have once again broken the entire system by needlessly over complicating the process and refuse to admit they ONCE AGAIN screwed up.
    I recommend finding a new platform. I certainly am looking and not giving another penny of my money to SHAPEways.

3. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    Mechanoid, I had the same problem for putting things on sale. You have to go back out to the main list. On the far right are three dots. Click there and you should have the option to make a product.

To see if it passed checks, you have to be on the file's page. Click on the material group and if it didn't pass in a specific material, it will show as unavailable in that material.

I am guessing the 3D tools on the list of 3D models will tell you what is wrong. I am not sure because they have disabled that on files that have existing products.

4. Mechanoid
    adbinc,

Thank you. This new system sucks. Shapeways has hidden every function under labels that don't match what the function is. They've over complicated simple. I'm honestly getting the feeling that they are trying to destroy the brand "Shapeways" as it's applied to the small personal modeler/ designer. And trying to become a commercial industry only printing service.

So for everyone who reads this with the same issues.

Under the 9 dots on the upper left, click 3d models,

then on the far right side of the model in question,

click the 3 dots (as adbinc pointed out for me),

and click the create product for first time models. Or click edit product to edit the model page for public viewing, and pricing.

The 3d tools will take you to the old page you went too if the model upload page said it had issues under a set product. You have to select the materials from the top center of that page to see if it passed or not.

In other words. Shapeways has over complicated simple. And since they refused to tell anyone the information that I'v found (thanks too adbinc), I posted those instructions for them. Lazy.

I hate having to do someone elses work simple because they don't seem to have enough respect for those who use their service for their small business. And with the idea of whats coming with the price changes, I'm sure that our shop TheVerse won't survive long. Which I'm starting to think is Shapeways plan, to push everyone out so they can become a commercial industry only printing service.

Take care everyone.

5. Echoco
    Echoco Well-Known Member
    Yup, the new design is unintuitive, instead of having links to pages needed to continue the product creation process they split it up into multiple isolated sections. I really don't understand how someone could think this is better than the previous system. If this is an effort to cater to mobile users, I'd like to say I'm sure most designers design and upload form PC or laptop.

I don't think any amount of complaining will change where things are going. It feels like the process had been set in motion and the momentum will carry it through.

6. Mechanoid
    Echoco,

Well I'm from another generation and time. When I see something wrong, I say something about it.

But your right. Time to let Shapeways fail.

Thanks for the correction.

7. lefteri
    lefteri Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hello @Mechanoid. Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry for the confusion regarding the new layout. To get to the 3D tools page for your model, where you can scale your model, see the results of our auto-checks, and set orientation (for certain materials) please visit www.shapeways.com/my models and click on the 3 vertical dots to the right of your model. On the pop-window you will see an option to "open in 3D tools".

8. MillerBro
    MillerBro Well-Known Member
    thanks- I had this issue as well.

Shapeways - it really should come as no surprise that when you change things you need to TELL PEOPLE ahead of time :/

9. ecs_norway
    ecs_norway Well-Known Member
    What is wrong with having a direct link to this page on the page that we land on when uploading a model? That would seem to be far more natural and convenient for the people who are driving your primary income stream than having to click back through an entirely separate section of the site, with no indication whatsoever that we might need to do so.

Please, please, just cancel all the changes you've just ruined the entire site with, and go back to the way things were before this latest "update".

10. lefteri
    Hi @ecs_norway. We are taking this feedback into account and looking into potential adjustments to the new layout.

MANDELWERK and adbinc like this.
  11. Mechanoid
    hi @Lefteri

Let me please attempt to lay things out for you. Hopefully in a manner that will explain things to you and the rest of your folks at Shapeways.

Now I'm not Samantha, she's in the hospital fighting for her life. But I helped start our shop here on Shapeways called TheVerse. So I have a steak in this crap show. Let me introduce myself, I'm Lynne, Marcie is simply is refusing to talk to you folks over this. So I'm going to speak on this. So sit back and buckle up, cupcake.

I uploaded a model over the weekend, in the white versatile plastic it has a $2.24 base cost. Lastnite I uploaded it again, new base price, $5.56. That effectively means all prices on everything in our shop are going to double. And as it was a week ago, we had people complaining about the high prices. Doubling the base prices will almost totally kill all sales in our shop. That means no markup fee's for Shapeways, that means no sales, that means the total and absolute destruction of our shop.

And we can't be the only shop that's going to be effected by this. You folks have tripled the ignorance of the website layout. It's gone completely stupid. Before, you clicked upload a model, it uploaded and this went straight to a page that had all the materials and checks right there. Then it had the "Sell" tab. NOW! You upload a model, it takes you to a buy it yourself page, then you have to exit out of it, go click the 9 dots to click 3d models, then find the model you just uploaded, then click the 3 dots, then click sell a product after you clicked 3d tools.

I'm sorry, what? Now I do realize Shapeways has to change things to make it easier for yourselves. But this crap show seems to be aimed at totally shutting down Shapeways. Or at the very least pushing all shop owners out, killing all sales and allowing Shapeways to become an Industry ONLY 3d printing service. On Purpose.

Doubling the prices on everything? You really think that 2019 is going to have many independent shops still around? How many people do you folks think will be able to survive on almost no sales of their products? Or do you think all 3d designers are all millionaires and can afford this heavy burden of cost?

Honestly, I'm starting to see what has had Samantha so upset at you people. I promised that I would help Marcie in taking over the shop and push to make it better, offer more items, do better. And what your doing just made that promise 900 times more difficult. It's like you are inviting everyone to play poker, handing us a "fixed" deck, and then wondering why our shops are failing.

I'm questioning the work ethics that you Neatherlanders have. Because this feels like your trying to go out of business, or trying to go industry only.

Because to be honest, You all don't seem to give a hoot about telling anyone what your plans are, or what your going to do in the future. This feels like you all couldn't care less about communicating anything. You just do it, then don't care what people say, you don't care what harm it does.

Your new website layout looks like it was designed on purpose to push designers out. It looks and feels like it was done to kill everyone's sales, and force everyone to use another 3d service, or force everyone to go buy one of their own. You folks don't care that your new prices are going to end a lot of shops, or that it will keep a lot of new customers from finding Shapeways shops.

So you folks have a lot of explaining to do.

SO let me finish this little rant of mine with a question.

What is the business model for the future of Shapeways?

srnjm420 and Spitfire2865 like this.
  12. lefteri
    Hello @Mechanoid thank you for the additional feedback.

I can not speak on the business model plans for the future.

As this section of our forum is specifically purposed for troubleshooting and the original question has been answered, I am locking this thread. You are more than welcome to provide any additional thoughts and questions regarding these new changes on the following existing thread, which is being monitored by my colleagues. They are reading everyone's feedback and while we can not make any promises, our Developer team will look into making updates to this new design.

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/pricing-changes.97888/

jimmyadvice likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.