Full Colour Sandstone View

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by nigeljohnson73, Mar 19, 2018.

1. I uploaded a DAE with the texture, and the full colour sandstone option is enabled... but I cannot seem to find an option that shows what it looks like and the options seem to only show the sandstone colouring. I have also created a product to see if that helped, but it doesnt show the textures either.

This is the first model I have uploaded in this manner. How can I tell that I have done it correctly (by showing the texture)?

Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    If you do not see the texture in the preview, it did not get attached to your model. If the texture was in a separate image file, open the DAE file in a text editor and look for the name of that image - it should not have any local folder names or drive letters prepended.

3. Ok, I'm still not getting it. I followed this: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/export-from-blender-w-textures.39313/

The texture renders in Blender without a problem. See attachment.

I export the 3ds file (cuz that's what the link says), zip it with the png texture exported and saved by Blender, and upload to Shapeways.

The uploader (once complete) shows that it is printable in full-colour sandstone (which it doesn't do when I upload an STL) and the 3D tools page shows that there is a texture associated... But nothing graphical that shows the map in place.

When I did what you suggested with the DAE file and look for the file name I did not find it. So, maybe the issue is in Blender? Back to my original question of what am I doing wrong?

i have uploaded PLY files direct from my scanner and they seemed to render ok as I recall. If I export from Blender to PLY, I can open the file in Paint 3D so quicker than uploading to Shapeways, but still no texture.

rhino render.png shapeways upload.png shapeways 3d tools.png

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  4. mkroeker
    Can you try a wrl/dae viewer like view3dscene ? (One weird possibility might be that the face normals are wrong and your texture is effectively applied to the inside of the model)

5. I downloaded view3dscene, thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I cannot find the texture still. The model is hollow in that is has an internal void, but I did manage to get in-between the layers and I still couldn't see the texture. The X3D file still did not mention the filename of the texture.

6. mkroeker
    When the texture is not mentioned in the dae or x3d file, all you can do is review your steps in Blender - perhaps you omitted one of the steps from the short description in the linked message, or the workflow may have changed slightly with recent versions. Perhaps try to texture a simple cube first to exclude any complications from object geometry. There are a few tutorials on youtube I think

7. Yeah, I think that is rapidly becoming my conclusion as well. Thank you for your help though.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I export x3d from blender and have no issues. If you want to send me the file, I'll try to take a look.

9. If you can tell me where I am going wrong I will be very grateful (attached). I followed this tutorial to create the blender file:

I also left that chap a note :)

The texture is only applied to the outside although weird things happen on the inside.

Attached Files:

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    So, I'm not sure exactly what's wrong. I wasn't able to use your file, but I exported the part as an stl and was able to texture it the way I know how, and it works. But I'm not able to make it work on your file, so there's something causing it to have an issue. I'm moving this to the design section so hopefully someone better at Blender can help you.

11. Great, thanks. Do you have any online directions on how you do it? can I still select the faces and paint on them, using the mirror modifier so it's symmetrical... I have seen mention that the same texture can be applied to various faces, and multiple textures can be applied to a model, but there is a lot of conflicting stuff out there. I expected (possibly unrealistically) this to be at a more mature state. Thanks again.