Building A 1/10 Scale Car Body

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 1703996_deleted, Sep 18, 2017.

1. hello I'm trying to build a 1/10 scale car model. the body shell is 18" long by 7" wide by 6.7" high. I would like to print this is the frosted detail plastic . I want to print the body shell as one piece like a model kit. can this be done or should I make the body multipiece?

2. Anyuta3D
    Anyuta3D Well-Known Member
    Producing a 18" L x 7" W x 6.7" H (457.20mm L x 177.80mm W x 170.18mm H) with Frosted Ultra Detail plastic as a single part is not possible, since the maximum allowed dimensions for a single FUD-made part are 284mm L x 184mm W x 203mm H. Since this "1/10 scale body shell" sounds like an RC model, I would say that producing the part with FUD (even IF you could) would not be a wise decision, because FUD is very delicate, quite fragile, requires to be carefull while handling and is not the best choice for such use. The FUD plastic is the ideal material for replicating amazing details and tiny miniatures, but you cannot rely on strength for such a big RC model that requires to sustain structural stress and possible RC model car crashes on walls or roll overs. That is why companies build their body shells with lexan which is cheaper than dirt and durable. Same time, considering the high price, producing the part with FUD (even IF you possibly could) would require too much USD and IMHO it would not worth the cost, while there are other available choices out there.

Regards,
    Anyuta 3D

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  3. ok. the model is a static shelf display like you would buy in a box and put together not a rc . what kind of plastic (if any ) might work?

4. Anyuta3D
    Anyuta3D Well-Known Member
    Well, if your 1st priority is accurancy on detail and smooth 'n' nice finish on surfaces, the FUD (and FXD too) is the only way for you, as long as you are willing to produce the body shell in parts (not as a single item) and later assemple them. Keep in mind that FUD option may offer best available detail, but is also the most expensive plastic too, so you need to be prepared to put your hand deep into your pocket. And speaking for such a big part, you may need to ask for a loan from bank. On the other hand, if you do not like to produce the body shell in parts and later assemble them and if you prefer to produce the item as one single part, the WSF (White Strong and Flexible) nylon material is the next best choice you can consider about. It is kinda cheaper than the forementioned FUD, stronger, more flexible but in most cases looks rough and the 3D printer layers are vissible. You pay, you choose.

Regards,
    Anyuta 3D

5. Swann
    Swann Active Member
    Hello clinescottagewoodcrafts,

I can prepare a car for you for 3D printing. There are few questions that remain:

1. Do you already have a 3d model of the car? Which model do you want to print? There are alot of 3d libraries on the internet. Finding the model you are looking for and modifying it for 3d printing can in sometimes be easier than creating a new car from nothing.

2. Do you want to print a color model?

Preparing an existing model for 3D printing would be in the range of 200EUR.

Creating a brand new car from nothing in a CAD Software like solid works will be in the range of 450EUR.

Kind regards

Swann Rack