[strong & Flexible Plastic Or Hp Jet Fusion] Snap Onto Acrylic Glass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1270222_deleted, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Hi,

I'm thinking about building simple cases from acrylic glass (3mm) and
    3d printing connections (corners or two edges) to snap on. The acrylic panes
    would have slits lasered in. The 3d printed parts could double as feet.
    Planned materials: Strong & Flexible Plastic or HP Jet Fusion.

I'm imagining something like small 3d printed parts which cover roughly 1 cm
    of the acrylic's edge. 3mm plates are snaped in so they are fixed in a 90 degree
    angle.

Is this feasible and what kind of gap do I need to have between acrylic and
    printed parts? I realize there is probably some trial and error involved but
    what would be a good starting point?

Any help, pointers, guesses ;) appreciated.
    Thank you!

(Oh, I'm sorry, maybe this should be in another subforum..)

2. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    either one should be flexible enough. WSF has maximum flexibility/toughness around 2mm. If I understand your design correctly, I'd start with the flanges between 2~3mm thick, enough flex to accommodate dimension variance in the print, without too much flex so the print will return to original position to hold the glass panes. Start with matching the glass pane thickness exactly and see which direction you have to swing if need be. Since it's press fit you'd want some tightness between the print and glass pane.

for maximum durability I'd just do plain slots and use adhesive to hold the acrylic glass in place.

3. I thought I should have a small gap, but you're right, I don't want it to be loose. I might want to be able to take them apart again, so I probably won't glue them. Shouldn't be a problem as I don't expect to put a lot of stress on the connection.
    Anyway, I had no idea what thickness to use, thanks!

4. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    HP Fusion would be better choice over WSF. Assuming the corners are printed as single part, with WSF you will always have 2 weaker sides vs 1 strong side, or 3 somewhat weak sides (orienting the part 45 degrees like pyramid). HP Fusion doesn't have this drawback.

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Both materials are affected by orientation. In different levels, but neither is isotropic. Also HP one currently seems to be prone to bubbles in thin parts.

6. What dimensions are strongest, so to speak?

How thin is too thin (bubbles)?
    I was leaning more towards HP Fusion, are there any other downsides? As far as I can see it has some advantages over strong & flexible.